Connect with us

News

Trump Vows to Sue BBC for Up to $5 Billion Over ‘Misleading’ Video Edit

US President Donald Trump says he will file a lawsuit seeking up to $5 billion in damages against the BBC,

Published

on

trump warn
Trump
  • US President Donald Trump says he will file a lawsuit seeking up to $5 billion in damages against the BBC, despite the broadcaster apologizing for a misleading edit of his pre–Capitol riot speech.

US President Donald Trump on Friday escalated his face-off with the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), announcing plans to sue the network for $1 billion to $5 billion over what he described as a “cheated and misleading” edit of one of his speeches.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump said: “We’ll sue them for anywhere between a billion and five billion dollars, probably some time next week. I think I have to do it. They’ve even admitted that they cheated.”

The dispute stems from a BBC documentary that featured an edited clip of Trump’s remarks ahead of the January 6, 2021, US Capitol riot — an edit that critics said implied he directly encouraged violence. Trump’s lawyers sent a letter to the BBC on Monday, accusing the broadcaster of defamation and demanding an apology and financial compensation by Friday.

VN62

While the BBC conceded it had created a misleading impression and issued an apology, it firmly rejected Trump’s claim of defamation.

In a statement Thursday, the broadcaster said its chairman, Samir Shah, had sent “a personal letter to the White House making clear to President Trump that he and the corporation are sorry for the edit of the president’s speech.”

However, it added: “While the BBC sincerely regrets the manner in which the video clip was edited, we strongly disagree there is a basis for a defamation claim.”

Advertisement

DON’T MISS: ISWAP Fighters Ambush Nigerian Military Convoy, Abduct Brigade Commander

The controversy has already triggered significant fallout within the organization, including the resignation of the BBC’s director-general and its top news executive.

Trump also said the backlash had enraged the British public: “The people of the UK are very angry about what happened… it shows the BBC is fake news.”

He added that he intended to raise the matter with UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, saying the British leader had already reached out.

Advertisement
VN62

“I’m going to call him over the weekend. He actually put a call into me. He’s very embarrassed,” Trump claimed.

The BBC, meanwhile, maintains its independence, while Starmer has avoided taking sides against the US president.

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

Bruno Bruno
Sports7 hours ago

Man United Captain Bruno Fernandes Wins Premier League Player of the Season

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes has been crowned Premier League Player of the Season...

Rotimi Amaechi ADC Rotimi Amaechi ADC
Politics7 hours ago

I’m the Most Experienced, Most Electable Candidate in ADC — Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi has declared himself the most qualified presidential aspirant in the African Democratic Congress ahead...

Abia Governor Alex Otti Abia Governor Alex Otti
News7 hours ago

‘Abia Under Me Has Changed Completely’ – Alex Otti Reveals Major Achievements After Three Years in Office

Abia State Governor Alex Otti says his administration has constructed over 400 roads across the state and reduced Abia’s debt...

460840885 1330647207915400 3100274530716194674 n 460840885 1330647207915400 3100274530716194674 n
Entertainment8 hours ago

‘I Started Smoking in JSS3’ — Ebuka Opens Up on 13-Year Addiction Battle

Media personality Ebuka Obi-Uchendu has opened up about his long battle with smoking addiction.

hunger woman hunger woman
News8 hours ago

35 Million Nigerians Risk Acute Hunger in Coming Months — UN Warns

The United Nations on Friday warned that about 35 million Nigerians are at risk of acute hunger from June to...

ahmusys ahmusys
Entertainment9 hours ago

‘Why I Froze My Eggs at 30’ — Ashmusy Reveals

Nigerian content creator Ashmusy has opened up about freezing her eggs, failed relationships, childhood struggles....

Charles Soludo 1 1 Charles Soludo 1 1
News9 hours ago

Anambra New Burial Law, Bans Presentation of Cows, Goats as Condolence Gifts

The Anambra State Government has introduced strict new funeral regulations, banning midweek burials, expensive condolence gifts, wake-keep ceremonies...

JAMB logo JAMB logo
Education10 hours ago

JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has released 279 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination results that had earlier been withheld for...

trump warn trump warn
News10 hours ago

Nigerians, Others May Be Forced to Leave America as Trump Introduces Fresh Green Card Rule

Donald Trump has directed that Nigerians and other foreign nationals seeking green cards must return to their home countries to...

Boko Haram terror group Boko Haram terror group
News11 hours ago

Oyo Schools Kidnap: Terrorists Open Talks, Give Fresh Condition

Fresh fears have spread across parts of Oyo State after terrorists who abducted pupils and teachers from multiple schools reportedly...

Advertisement