News
BREAKING: Terrorists Relocate, Flee Hideouts After US Airstrike
Community leaders in parts of Northern Nigeria have reported unusual movements by suspected terrorists following a recent US airstrike.
- Community leaders in parts of Northern Nigeria have reported unusual movements by suspected terrorists following a recent US airstrike, raising concerns that armed groups may be relocating to evade surveillance.

A new report has indicated that suspected terrorists operating in parts of Northern Nigeria are relocating following a recent military airstrike carried out by the United States on Thursday night.
Community leaders in Tangaza, Gudu and parts of Illela Local Government Areas of Sokoto State told PUNCH that they observed unusual movements shortly after the Christmas Day attack. According to them, armed groups were seen migrating in small numbers, suggesting attempts to evade continued aerial and ground surveillance.
Some of the leaders, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said suspected bandits were moving through remote forest corridors, while others were believed to be heading toward neighbouring border communities. The movements, they said, pointed to dislocation within the armed groups after their hideouts were reportedly targeted.
A community leader in Tangaza described the airstrike as a major disruption to criminal operations in the area. According to him, the strike “sent a strong signal” and forced the armed groups to abandon familiar camps and routes.
“People are cautious, but there is relief that their hideouts were hit,” he added.
Concerns have also been raised outside Sokoto State. The Chairman of the Traditional Council in Gwer West Local Government Area of Benue State, Daniel Abomtse, alleged that armed herders were moving into parts of Benue following the strike.
“I felt their movement in my local government as well as in Agatu LGA. They have been running away from Sokoto to the coastal areas in Gwer West and Agatu with sophisticated arms and grazing openly. They are in my domain,” Abomtse claimed.

While commending the US airstrike, the traditional ruler called for an expansion of similar operations to other states, including Benue, Kogi, Taraba, Niger and Plateau.
“What President Trump has done is the best thing to have happened to the government of Nigeria. I commend him for dealing with the menace in the country, which began about 16 years ago,” he said.
Efforts by PUNCH to confirm Abomtse’s claims with the spokesperson of the Benue State Police Command, Udeme Edet, were unsuccessful as of the time of filing this report.
DON’T MISS: FG Releases Statement on U.S. Military Airstrikes on Terrorist Groups in Nigeria
Meanwhile, Sokoto State government officials said intelligence assessments were ongoing to determine the direction, scale and implications of the reported movements following the airstrike.
The US military action has continued to generate mixed reactions across the country. While some Nigerians have welcomed the strike as a bold move against terrorism, others have criticised it as a violation of Nigeria’s sovereignty. Islamic cleric Sheikh Ahmad Gumi has also called on President Bola Tinubu to halt all military cooperation with the United States in response to the operation.
As security agencies monitor the situation, concerns remain over the possibility of armed groups relocating to new areas, potentially spreading insecurity to previously calmer communities.


