Connect with us

Sports

Erik Ten Hag Advises Squad Ahead Of Crucial Champions League Tie With Galatasaray

United is currently at the bottom of Group A and will be eliminated if they fail to win in Turkey…

Published

on

United VerseNews
Erik Ten Hag with squad

Erik ten Hag has advised his Manchester United squad to remain composed in the intense atmosphere of Galatasaray as they strive to stay alive in the Champions League.

VerseSports understands that the team is currently at the bottom of Group A and will be eliminated if they fail to win in Turkey during their second-to-last group match on Wednesday.

Even if they manage to beat Galatasaray and triumph over group leaders Bayern Munich in their final game at Old Trafford, two victories for Copenhagen would result in the Danish team advancing instead of Ten Hag’s squad.

Advertisement

United, who have won the European championship three times, have never emerged victorious at Galatasaray, having drawn twice and lost once.

During the 1993 encounter, Turkish fans made a lasting impression by warmly welcoming the team with a banner that bore the words “Welcome to Hell,” while some resorted to throwing projectiles and making threatening gestures by drawing their fingers across their throats.

The match ultimately ended in a 0-0 draw, resulting in United’s elimination from Europe due to the away goals rule, following a 3-3 draw in the first leg.

In a pre-match press conference held on Tuesday, Ten Hag expressed his team’s unwavering confidence despite their current predicament and the unwelcoming atmosphere they would face in Istanbul.

Advertisement

“We know how to deal with it and I’m sure tomorrow it will be a confident team on the pitch,” said the Dutch manager.

“You have to stay calm in your head and don’t get too emotional. You need emotion but you have to control it. Don’t give them anything, or the referee as well.

“You have to stay away from such moments. We know how to deal with it. You have to play confident and you have to make it your game so it’s not that important how the opponent is playing, it’s important how we are playing.”

Ten Hag was asked what his plans were “to get out of hell”.

Advertisement

“We have to make it our game and it’s the history,” he said.

“Obviously Manchester United has a great history, but you can’t take any guarantee from it in the future, so we have to make our own future.

“It’s the past, so tomorrow, it’s about the future. It’s on us.”

Despite their inconsistent results, the United boss claimed that his team had made progress since their unexpected 3-2 loss to Galatasaray at Old Trafford in the beginning of last month.

Advertisement

Their latest triumph over Everton on Sunday, with a score of 3-0, marked their fifth win in six Premier League games.

“It’s good progress,” he said. “We are stepping up, we are more stable, we are winning games, so definitely there is a big difference from the first time we played them.”

Bruno Fernandes, the captain of United, expressed his excitement to experience the electrifying atmosphere of Galatasaray.

Advertisement

“The atmosphere will be intense but I think everyone, as a kid, you enjoy and you want to be in these big stadiums with a big atmosphere so you just have to enjoy the challenge,” he said.

Version 1: Fernandes acknowledged the value of Manchester United remaining in the premier European club competition, being fully cognizant of the prestige that accompanies it. He stressed the importance of the team avoiding elimination on Wednesday.

“It’s really important to be in the competition, we want to be in the middle of the best clubs in Europe,” the Portugal midfielder said.

WhatsAppCOnnect

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist2 weeks ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics2 weeks ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News2 weeks ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News2 weeks ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News2 weeks ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics2 weeks ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News2 weeks ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement