Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Finance Minister Wale Edun Proposes N105,000 New Minimum Wage

Finance Minister Wale Edun and Budget Minister Atiku Bagudu have presented President Tinubu with a proposal for a new minimum wage of N105,000 ($220) per month.

Published

on

BREAKING: Finance Minister Wale Edun Proposes N105,000 New Minimum Wage
BREAKING: Finance Minister Wale Edun Proposes N105,000 New Minimum Wage

Finance Minister Wale Edun and Budget Minister Atiku Bagudu have presented President Tinubu with a proposal for a new minimum wage of N105,000 ($220) per month.

This comes amid a dispute with organized labor, which demands a much higher wage of N494,000, while the government had previously offered N60,000.

After a nationwide strike, the government has committed to paying more than N60,000, although the TUC reports no new developments or offers. An official announcement from President Tinubu is anticipated soon.

The Minister of Finance, Wale Edun, has submitted the estimated cost implications of implementing a new national minimum wage to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Advertisement

Intel Region reported earlier that Edun submitted the projected cost implications of implementing a new national minimum wage to Tinubu.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  FG List Pensioners In N25,000 Conditioner Cash Transfer Program

Edun, along with the Minister of Budget and National Planning, Atiku Bagudu, presented President Tinubu with the cost implications of the new minimum wage in his office at the presidential villa in Abuja.

According to Western Post, the new proposal suggests a minimum wage of N105,000 (approximately $220) per month for Nigerian workers.

Tinubu is currently reviewing this proposal, and an official announcement is expected soon.

Advertisement

Recall that there was a disagreement between organised labour and the government over the implementation of the national minimum wage. While organised labour is asking for a wage of N494,000, the government said it would pay N60,000.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  EFCC Apprehends 21 Alleged Yahoo Boys in Abuja

However, following the declaration of an indefinite nationwide strike – which commenced on Monday and was relaxed for one week – the government committed to pay above N60,000.

The Trade Union Congress (TUC) President, Comrade Festus Osifo, noted that there was no new development or offer from the government.

“The government is yet to present anything to us. What we have been discussing are principles but no new template yet,” he said.

Advertisement

When quipped on if there was an offer beyond N60,000, he stated that such an offer was not on the table

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  BREAKING: Police Arrest ‘Fake’ Agency DG Adeyemi (Video)

“The government is yet to present any new offer to us; we are only hoping that by the time we come back tomorrow, something concrete will be available,” he said.

“They are only talking about principles and what is needed to work but nothing new yet on the minimum wage.”

whatsapp chat for versenews
Advertisement

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1 HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1
Big Brother Naija1 day ago

BBNaija Season 11: Kamsy Evicted as 15 Nominated Housemates Survive Surprise Eviction

Big Brother Naija Season 11 delivered another surprise on Sunday night as only one housemate, Kamsy, was evicted despite 16...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 16 at 13.37.03 1 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 16 at 13.37.03 1
News1 day ago

EXCLUSIVE: Israeli TV Demands Britain Abandon Nigeria, Calls for Biafran Freedom – Abuja in Meltdown

Israeli Channel 14 has reportedly called for Israeli government action on Biafra, urging Britain to end its alleged support for...

arsenal mancity arsenal mancity
Sports1 day ago

Arsenal Humiliate Man City 3-0 in Community Shield, Send Warning Ahead of Premier League Title Defence

Arsenal delivered a stunning statement ahead of the new Premier League season, sweeping aside Manchester City 3-0 in the Community...

adeleke sister adeleke sister
Politics2 days ago

WATCH: Emotional Moment Adeleke Prostrates Before Elder Sister After Osun Re-election

A video showing Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke prostrating before his elder sister, Chief Dr. Modupeola Adeleke-Sanni, popularly known as...

KEYAMO KEYAMO
Politics2 days ago

‘Agreement Is Agreement’, Keyamo Tells Adeleke After Osun Election Victory

Aviation Minister Festus Keyamo has congratulated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election in Osun State, describing the victory as historic...

irannn irannn
World News2 days ago

Iran Offers $30,000 Bounty for Killing or Capturing US Soldiers, Doubles Reward for Women

Iran’s military has announced a $30,000 bounty for anyone who kills or captures a US soldier and hands them over...

tinubu adeleke tinubu adeleke
Politics2 days ago

Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke on Osun Victory, Says Result Shows Democracy Is Flourishing

President Bola Tinubu has congratulated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election as Osun State governor...

adeleke wins adeleke wins
Politics2 days ago

BREAKING: Adeleke Wins Osun Governorship Election, Defeats APC’s Oyebamiji (Full Results)

Governor Ademola Adeleke has been declared the winner of the Osun State governorship election after securing 511,067 votes across the...

President Tinubu To Temporarily Halt Import Duties On Food, Drugs President Tinubu To Temporarily Halt Import Duties On Food, Drugs
Politics3 days ago

Tinubu Dragged to Court, Faces Disqualification From 2027 Presidential Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to disqualify President Bola Tinubu from contesting...

image 32 image 32
Entertainment3 days ago

‘I Did Not Create Myself’ — Man With Female-Breasts Like Chest Speaks Out Against Body Shaming (Video)

A slim man with prominent breasts has spoken out against body shaming, questioning why he is criticised for going topless...

Advertisement