Connect with us

World News

Gabonese Await Word On Its Future After End Of Bongo Era

Amid scenes of joy in the oil-rich state, the coup leaders named the head of the elite Republican Guard…

Published

on

WhatsApp Image 2023 08 31 at 3.02.30 PM 1
Gabonese

People in the central African state of Gabon awaited a steer on their future on Thursday after rebel army officers brought the curtain down on 55 years of rule by the Bongo family.

President Ali Bongo Ondimba, whose father Omar had ruled for more than four decades, was toppled on Wednesday, moments after being declared outright winner in bitterly disputed elections.

Amid scenes of joy in the oil-rich state, the coup leaders named the head of the elite Republican Guard, General Brice Oligui Nguema, as Gabon’s “transitional president.”

Advertisement

They also restored internet access and broadcasts by three influential French media that had been cut off by Bongo’s government on Saturday evening.

But they kept a 6:00pm-6:00am curfew “to maintain calm and serenity” and Gabon’s borders remained closed.

The Gabonese public and the international community are eager to know how long military rule will last and how the return to civilian governance will unfold.

Five other countries in Africa — Mali, Guinea, Sudan, Burkina Faso and Niger — have undergone coups in the last three years, with their new rulers resisting demands for a short timetable for returning to barracks.

Advertisement

Bongo Question

Another question is the future of Bongo himself, and the United Nations and China are among those that have demanded guarantees for his safety.

After decades as a man with a playboy image, Bongo was elected in 2009 following the death of his father, who reputedly amassed a fortune from Gabon’s oil wealth.

In 2016 he was re-elected — again in fiercely disputed conditions — before suffering a stroke in 2018 that weakened his grip on power.

Advertisement

The coup leaders declared on Wednesday that Bongo had been put under house arrest and “placed in retirement.”

But during those tumultuous first hours, Bongo was able to release a video in which he appealed to “all friends that we have all over the world… to make noise” on his behalf.

His son and close adviser Noureddin Bongo Valentin, his chief of staff Ian Ghislain Ngoulou, his deputy, two other presidential advisers and the two top officials in the ruling Gabonese Democratic Party (PDG) “have been arrested”, a military leader said.

They are accused of treason, embezzlement, corruption and falsifying the president’s signature, among other allegations, he said.

Advertisement

The coup announcement came just moments after the national election authority declared Bongo had won a third term in Saturday’s election with 64.27 percent of the vote.

The poll, condemned as bogus by the opposition, was declared cancelled by new leaders, who have called themselves the Committee for the Transition and Restoration of Institutions (CTRI).

The elections “did not meet the conditions for a transparent, credible and inclusive ballot so much hoped for by the people of Gabon,” they said in a statement.

“Added to this is irresponsible and unpredictable governance, resulting in a continuing deterioration in social cohesion, with the risk of leading the country in chaos.”

Advertisement

The claimed takeover sparked condemnation from the African Union and alarm from Nigeria, which warned of Africa’s “contagious autocracy.”

In France, where Bongo’s loss would mark a further blow to Paris’ influence in Africa, the government said it “condemns the coup” and reiterated its desire “to see the results of the election respected, once they are known”.

But other reactions were more nuanced, focussing particularly on the credibility of the vote itself.

Advertisement

“Naturally, military coups are not the solution, but we must not forget that in Gabon there had been elections full of irregularities,” said the European Union’s foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell.

A rigged vote could amount to a civilian “institutional coup,” he said.

In the three Sahel countries of Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger, democratically elected presidents were toppled by troops angered at failures to roll back a bloody jihadist insurgency.

The US State Department said it was “strongly opposed to military seizures” but voiced concerns over the “lack of transparency and reports of irregularities surrounding the election”.

Advertisement

The elections were held without international observers, and foreign journalists had been largely restricted from covering the event, according to the media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF).

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist2 weeks ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics2 weeks ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News2 weeks ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News2 weeks ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News2 weeks ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics2 weeks ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News2 weeks ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement