News
21 Kidnapped Passengers Rescued by Nigerian Army in Kogi
The Nigerian Army has rescued 21 passengers abducted by suspected bandits along the Obajana–Oshokoshoko road in Kogi State.
- The Nigerian Army has rescued 21 passengers abducted by suspected bandits along the Obajana–Oshokoshoko road in Kogi State, following a fierce gun battle involving troops, vigilantes, and hunters.

The Nigerian Army has confirmed the rescue of 21 passengers abducted along the Obajana–Oshokoshoko road in Lokoja Local Government Area of Kogi State.
The Acting Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, Lt. Hassan Abdullahi of the 12 Brigade, revealed the development on Saturday while responding to inquiries on the attack.
Suspected bandits had earlier blocked the busy Osokoko–Obajana highway around 2:30 pm, seizing multiple vehicles and forcefully taking passengers into the bush before security operatives arrived. Eyewitnesses reported that an 18-seater commercial bus and several other vehicles were caught in the ambush.
Lt. Abdullahi said the passengers were rescued after troops, working with vigilantes, hunters and other security agencies, engaged the kidnappers in a fierce exchange of gunfire. He added that operations are ongoing to rescue the remaining victims and apprehend the attackers.
A relative of one of the victims, who preferred anonymity, said his younger brother was travelling from Owo, Ondo State, to Abuja when the attackers struck a few kilometres from Obajana. According to him, the abductors later demanded N40 million ransom.

“I received a call on Friday from my brother’s abductors demanding N40 million for his release. He was coming to Lokoja to inform our mother about my traditional wedding scheduled for next Friday,” he said.
Several vehicles were reportedly affected, including:
– A Toyota Hiace bus (7BGT-78LG) travelling from Owo to Abuja
– A Toyota Sienna (YAB 968 AX) from Oshogbo to Kaduna
– A Toyota Carina (JMU 648 AA) from Lokoja to Kabba
– A Toyota Hiace (GKP 178 XA) from Abuja to Ekiti
Sources disclosed that eight of the rescued passengers belonged to two biological families, while two drivers—a truck driver and a bus driver—were also freed.
DON’T MISS: BREAKING: Bandits Attack 18-Seater Bus On Osokoko–Obajana Road In Kogi, Kidnap All Passengers (Video)
Meanwhile, Kogi State Governor Usman Ahmed Ododo has vowed to intensify offensive operations against criminal hideouts. Speaking during an emergency meeting with security agencies and traditional rulers, the governor revealed intelligence reports indicating that top bandit commanders had recently relocated to the state.
“We will not wait for them to fight us; we will take the fight to them,” Governor Ododo said. “We are not going to bow to criminals, we are not going to negotiate with them, and we are not going to pay ransom. We will continue to sensitise our people to stay security conscious.”


