Connect with us

News

Anthony Joshua Speaks from Hospital After Deadly Auto Crash

Former world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has spoken from hospital after surviving a horrific crash in Nigeria that claimed the lives of two of his close friends.

Published

on

kamam484 anthony
Anthony Joshua
  • Former world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has spoken from hospital after surviving a horrific crash in Nigeria that claimed the lives of two of his close friends.
VN62

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua has spoken from hospital after surviving a high-speed road crash in Nigeria that left him injured and claimed the lives of two of his close friends.

Joshua said he feels pain “all over his body” following the accident, which occurred on Monday and involved a black Lexus SUV in which he was a passenger. The crash resulted in the deaths of Sina Ghami and Latif “Latz” Ayodele.

Sources close to the British boxer, 36, disclosed that he will remain hospitalised into the New Year as doctors continue to monitor his condition and carry out further tests. Although he reportedly has “searing pain” in his knees, medical examinations have so far revealed no fractures.

Joshua’s promoters, Matchroom, declined to provide details of his injuries but confirmed: “Anthony is in a stable condition and will remain there for observation.”

The Federal Road Safety Corps has released preliminary findings on the crash, stating that it involved a black Lexus Jeep and a stationary red commercial Sinotruck along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in Ogun State.

Advertisement

In an official statement, the FRSC said: “Preliminary reports from the Ogun Sector Command indicate that the crash occurred at about 1200HRS and was promptly reported to the Corps. FRSC operatives arrived at the scene within three (3) minutes of notification, enabling swift rescue operations, evacuation of victims, effective traffic control, and prevention of secondary crashes.”

The agency added: “The incident involved two vehicles: a black Lexus Jeep and a stationary red commercial Sinotruck with unknown registration number. A total of five adult males were involved in the crash.

“Two persons sadly lost their lives, one sustained injuries, while two others escaped unhurt. Anthony Joshua was rescued alive and sustained minor injuries. The injured victim was evacuated for medical attention, while the remains of the deceased were conveyed to Livewell Morgue, Ajaka, Sagamu.”

According to the FRSC, preliminary findings suggest that the Lexus Jeep was “suspected to be travelling beyond the legally prescribed speed limit” before losing control during an overtaking manoeuvre and crashing into the stationary truck.

Advertisement

DON’T MISS: ‘Nigerians Must Pay Tax, No Going Back’: Tinubu Insist New Tax Law Will Take Effect January 1

Mobile phone footage circulating on social media showed a visibly shaken Joshua being assisted from the wreckage. Reports indicated that he had been seated in the rear of the SUV, which was carrying four other adult males at the time of the accident.

The Ogun State Police Command also confirmed the incident in a statement, saying: “Anthony Joshua was involved in a road traffic accident today – Monday December 29, 2025, at about 11am, in Makun, Ogun State. The incident occurred along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, just before Danco Filling Station, near the Sagamu Interchange on the Ibadan-bound axis.

WhatsApp

“The vehicle conveying Anthony Joshua, a Lexus SUV, was involved in the accident under circumstances that are currently being investigated. He was seated in the rear of the vehicle, sustained minor injuries and receiving medical attention.

“Tragically, two other passengers in the vehicle lost their lives at the scene. The deceased have been conveyed to Livewell Hospital Morgue, Sagamu.”

Advertisement

The police added: “The Ogun State Police Command extends heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased and assures the public that a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the accident has commenced. Further updates on the incident will be communicated as investigation progresses.”

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

maxresdefault 3 maxresdefault 3
News2 days ago

[JUST IN]: US-Based Igbo Groups Hail Enugu Monarch For Confronting Tinubu, Demand Kanu’s Release (Full Details)

US-based Igbo advocacy groups have praised an Enugu monarch for openly confronting President Bola Tinubu.

gaming gaming
News2 days ago

Lagos Begins 5% Withholding Tax on Gaming Winnings

The Lagos State Government has commenced a 5% withholding tax deduction on gaming winnings.

ezgif 606f4cb933138d6e ezgif 606f4cb933138d6e
Entertainment2 days ago

Ogun Police to Arrest, Prosecute TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged False Rape Claim

The Ogun State Police Command has concluded plans to arrest and prosecute a TikTok user, Mirabel, after she allegedly admitted...

kanu kanu
News2 days ago

AVID Condemns Killing of Ondo Monarch, Demands Kanu’s Release and Security Reforms

The American Veterans of Igbo Descent (AVID) has condemned the killing of Oba Kehinde Falodun in Ondo State.

Nigeria teleoms Nigeria teleoms
News4 days ago

Telcos Challenge Senate to Tell Nigerians the Truth, Insist Country Has Capacity for Real-Time Transmission

Telecom operators, including MTN, Airtel, Globacom and T2 Mobile, have rejected the Senate’s claims of inadequate infrastructure.

gym instructor gym instructor
Entertainment4 days ago

Drama at Fitness Centre as Man Arrests Gym Instructor for Impregnating His Daughter (Video)

Tension erupted at a fitness centre after a man arrived with police officers to arrest a gym instructor accused of...

WhatsApp ipob WhatsApp ipob
News5 days ago

IPOB Slams Tinubu’s Aide Over Kanu Conviction Comparison, Insists ‘Biafra Restoration Is Unstoppable’

The Indigenous People of Biafra has faulted comments credited to a presidential aide comparing Nnamdi Kanu’s terrorism conviction with Sunday...

mirabel mirabel
Entertainment5 days ago

‘I Took Snipper, Felt Completely Overwhelmed’ – Mirabel Narrates How She Was Allegedly Raped in Her Apartment, Releases Suspect’s Messages (Video)

A Nigerian woman identified as Mirabel has sparked nationwide reactions after sharing an emotional video alleging she was raped in...

trumpppp trumpppp
News6 days ago

US Slaps Terror, Cyber Sanctions on Nigerians, Freezes their Assets (Full List)

The United States has sanctioned more than 20 Nigerians and several organisations over alleged ties to terrorism and cybercrime,

Toke Makinwa Toke Makinwa
Entertainment6 days ago

‘Why I Stopped Paying Tithes to Churches’ – Toke Makinwa (Video)

Media personality Toke Makinwa says she no longer pays tithes to churches, choosing instead to support individuals, hospitals, and maternity...

Advertisement