Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Italy Presses Nigerian Government to Prosecute Christian Killers

Italian Prime Minister Georgia Meloni has called on the Nigerian government to strengthen security for Christian communities and prosecute those responsible for attacks.

Published

on

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni
Georgia Meloni
  • Italian Prime Minister Georgia Meloni has called on the Nigerian government to strengthen security for Christian communities and prosecute those responsible for attacks, following recent abductions and killings in Kwara and Kebbi states.

Italian Prime Minister Georgia Meloni has urged the Nigerian government to prosecute perpetrators of violence against Christians and to tighten security in Christian communities nationwide.

In a statement on Friday, Meloni condemned recent attacks on Christians, emphasising that religious freedom is an inalienable right. “We strongly condemn the renewed violence against Christian communities in Nigeria today. Religious freedom is an inalienable right: we call on the Nigerian government to strengthen the protection of Christian communities and all religious communities and prosecute those responsible for this heinous attack,” she said.

Her statement follows renewed reports of attacks on Christian communities, including the kidnapping of worshippers in Eruku, Kwara State, earlier this week. According to police and witnesses, gunmen attacked a church on Tuesday evening, killing at least two people and abducting the pastor along with several worshippers.

VN62

This incident comes shortly after the abduction of 25 girls from a boarding school in Kebbi State, adding pressure on the government amid international scrutiny. U.S. President Donald Trump has also warned of potential military action over what he describes as persecution of Christians in Nigeria.

In response, President Bola Tinubu postponed a planned trip to South Africa and Angola for the G20 and AU-EU summits to receive security briefings on the two attacks. His office said he directed security agencies to pursue the assailants in Kwara and to “do everything possible” to rescue the abducted schoolgirls and bring them home safely, according to his spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga.

DON’T MISS: Three Terrible Nights Nigeria Will Never Forget

Advertisement

Reports indicate that the gunmen involved in the Eruku attack have demanded a N3 billion ransom for the release of their victims. Chief Olusegun Olukotun, a community leader and Olori Eta of Eruku, whose four relatives were among those kidnapped, confirmed that the bandits had begun contacting families.

Meloni expressed Italy’s solidarity with the victims and communities affected by these attacks, stressing the need for urgent action to protect religious freedom in Nigeria.

WhatsApp

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

maxresdefault 3 maxresdefault 3
News2 days ago

[JUST IN]: US-Based Igbo Groups Hail Enugu Monarch For Confronting Tinubu, Demand Kanu’s Release (Full Details)

US-based Igbo advocacy groups have praised an Enugu monarch for openly confronting President Bola Tinubu.

gaming gaming
News2 days ago

Lagos Begins 5% Withholding Tax on Gaming Winnings

The Lagos State Government has commenced a 5% withholding tax deduction on gaming winnings.

ezgif 606f4cb933138d6e ezgif 606f4cb933138d6e
Entertainment3 days ago

Ogun Police to Arrest, Prosecute TikTok User Mirabel Over Alleged False Rape Claim

The Ogun State Police Command has concluded plans to arrest and prosecute a TikTok user, Mirabel, after she allegedly admitted...

kanu kanu
News3 days ago

AVID Condemns Killing of Ondo Monarch, Demands Kanu’s Release and Security Reforms

The American Veterans of Igbo Descent (AVID) has condemned the killing of Oba Kehinde Falodun in Ondo State.

Nigeria teleoms Nigeria teleoms
News4 days ago

Telcos Challenge Senate to Tell Nigerians the Truth, Insist Country Has Capacity for Real-Time Transmission

Telecom operators, including MTN, Airtel, Globacom and T2 Mobile, have rejected the Senate’s claims of inadequate infrastructure.

gym instructor gym instructor
Entertainment4 days ago

Drama at Fitness Centre as Man Arrests Gym Instructor for Impregnating His Daughter (Video)

Tension erupted at a fitness centre after a man arrived with police officers to arrest a gym instructor accused of...

WhatsApp ipob WhatsApp ipob
News5 days ago

IPOB Slams Tinubu’s Aide Over Kanu Conviction Comparison, Insists ‘Biafra Restoration Is Unstoppable’

The Indigenous People of Biafra has faulted comments credited to a presidential aide comparing Nnamdi Kanu’s terrorism conviction with Sunday...

mirabel mirabel
Entertainment5 days ago

‘I Took Snipper, Felt Completely Overwhelmed’ – Mirabel Narrates How She Was Allegedly Raped in Her Apartment, Releases Suspect’s Messages (Video)

A Nigerian woman identified as Mirabel has sparked nationwide reactions after sharing an emotional video alleging she was raped in...

trumpppp trumpppp
News6 days ago

US Slaps Terror, Cyber Sanctions on Nigerians, Freezes their Assets (Full List)

The United States has sanctioned more than 20 Nigerians and several organisations over alleged ties to terrorism and cybercrime,

Toke Makinwa Toke Makinwa
Entertainment6 days ago

‘Why I Stopped Paying Tithes to Churches’ – Toke Makinwa (Video)

Media personality Toke Makinwa says she no longer pays tithes to churches, choosing instead to support individuals, hospitals, and maternity...

Advertisement