Connect with us

Politics

INEC Defends 2023 General Election, Says 712 Petitions Dismissed, 179 Withdrawn

Seven months after the conduct of the 2023 general elections, the various tribunals handling petitions…

Published

on

MahmoodTribunal
Mahmood Yakubu - Tribunal

Seven months after the conduct of the 2023 general elections, the various tribunals handling petitions from defeated candidates have dismissed 712 cases.

Also, 179 candidates have withdrawn the petitions they filed against their opponents before the election petition tribunals across the federation.

VerseNews reports that these facts were revealed yesterday in Abuja by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), which said 891 petitions of 1,196 on 2023 polls had so far been either dismissed or withdrawn.

Advertisement

Contrary to claims in some sections of the media, INEC said the loss of 74.4 percent of the petitions confirmed the credibility of the 2023 elections it conducted for state and national legislators, governors and president.

the Information and Voter Education Committee, Sam Olumekun, in a statement he issued in Abuja, said the report contained inaccuracies and called for a more balanced perspective on the matter.

He said, “Of 1,196 petitions, 712 were dismissed and 179 withdrawn. This means that in 891 cases (74.4 percent), the tribunals found no merit in the petitions and affirmed the result of the elections conducted by INEC.

Advertisement

“It is surprising how the mere filing of petitions constituted a blow on the integrity of the recent elections conducted by INEC when in fact they constitute an integral part of the democratic process.”

According to him, “As of Monday, 16th October, 2023, of 82 governorship election petitions, 72 (87.8 percent) were either dismissed or withdrawn by the petitioners. For the senatorial elections, 146 petitions were filed, of which 100 (68.5 percent) were dismissed or withdrawn.

“For the House of Representatives, 413 petitions were filed out of which 309 (74.81 percent) were dismissed or withdrawn while for State Houses of Assembly, 550 petitions were filed, of which 468 (82.4 percent) were dismissed or withdrawn.

“A comparative analysis would have addressed the deliberate effort in the report to portray the 2023 General Election as regressive on account of litigation without empirical evidence.”

Advertisement
WhatsAppCOnnect

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist1 week ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics1 week ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News1 week ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News1 week ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News1 week ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics2 weeks ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News2 weeks ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement