Connect with us

Politics

Niger Coup: ECOWAS Asserting Itself To Defend Democracy – Reno Omokri Hails Tinubu’s Move

President Tinubu issued a seven-day ultimatum to the military junta in Niger return power to President Mohammed Bazoum

Published

on

WhatsApp Image 2023 08 04 at 16.44.41
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Reno Omokri, a former aide to Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, has commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu who doubles as Chairman of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) for taking drastic action amid the current leadership tussle in Niger Republic.

Recall last week Sunday, the ECOWAS led by President Tinubu issued a seven-day ultimatum to the military junta in Niger return power to President Mohammed Bazoum who was forcefully removed from office by the military in the country.

To this, the Nigerian government has suspended the supply of electricity into the country issued a no-fly-zone in the ECOWAS air space.

Omokri commending the move by the ECOWAS in a post shared on his Instagram page on Friday said it was a move to defend democracy.

Advertisement

He said, “No matter what you think of President Tinubu,you must admit that the steps taken by his administration in response to the coup in Niger Republic are thus far commendable. It may not even be Tinubu. It is more likely his top notch National Security Adviser, but it does not matter. At least, he had the good judgment to appoint him.

“For the first time, ECOWAS is asserting itself to defend democracy. And Nigeria is leading that defence. Shutting down power to Niger, establishing and enforcing a No-Fly-Zone.

“Cutting aid and shutting land borders. Very commendable.

DON’T MISS: Tinubu’s Ministerial List And Nigeria’s Politics Of Compensation

Advertisement

“And make no mistake about it. The Nigerien put schists are feeling the squeeze. That is why they are sponsoring anti-Tinubu protests in Niamey. That is important. They are not sponsoring anti-Bazoum protests. They are sponsoring anti-Tinubu demonstrations because they know he threatens their dictatorial ambitions. That is novel in West Africa.

“If Buhari had been as diplomatically assertive as this, there would still be democratically elected governments in Burkina Faso and Mali.

“Every Nigerian citizen,especially our political elite, whether in the ruling party or the opposition,has to support Tinubu’s government for this limited purpose (we will still fight him in court). Because if this coup is allowed to stand, West Africa will have accepted the domino effect of coups and soldiers in member states will get the message. Finding excuses for coups is the easiest thing in the world.

“It is possible to roll back coups. President Obasanjo did it in 2003 in Sao Tome and Principe, a country that is not even a member of ECOWAS. And he did it in a similar mode as Bola Tinubu is currently doing.

Advertisement

“Shut electric supply. Shut finances going in and out. Block land borders. And then wait. The solidarity celebrations you are seeing are staged. By the time it becomes clear that the junta cannot pay its soldiers, the rank and file of the army will turn against it, and that is when you will see the real response of Nigeriens to the coup. Not this choreography you are seeing now!”

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist2 weeks ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics2 weeks ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News2 weeks ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News2 weeks ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News2 weeks ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics2 weeks ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News2 weeks ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement