Connect with us

Politics

‘Tinubu Never Called Me 50 Days After Oyo School Abduction’ — Peter Obi Reveals What Makinde Told Him

Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi has claimed that President Bola Tinubu did not contact Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde more than 50 days….

Published

on

0 138 1006x598 1
Peter Obi and Makinde
  • Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi has claimed that President Bola Tinubu did not contact Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde more than 50 days after the abduction of schoolchildren, describing it as a sign of worsening leadership and insecurity.
VN62

Former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi has criticised President Bola Tinubu’s handling of insecurity, claiming the President failed to contact Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde more than 50 days after the abduction of schoolchildren in the state.

In a statement shared on his X account on Monday, Obi described the development as evidence of a deepening leadership crisis and accused the Federal Government of showing little urgency in responding to the plight of kidnapped children.

According to Obi, he had publicly appealed twice to the kidnappers to release the children and had also spoken with Governor Makinde on two occasions to express his support.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  PDP Issues Expulsion Certificates to Wike, Fayose and Others

“The government and people of Oyo State, more than 50 days after the abduction of the schoolchildren without any tangible effort toward their rescue, should rightly feel bitter and abandoned,” he wrote.

Obi said he later visited Ibadan alongside economist Prof. Pat Utomi, where he met with Governor Makinde to discuss the worsening security situation.

Advertisement

During the meeting, Obi said he was surprised to learn that the governor had not received any phone call from President Tinubu since the children were abducted.

“But, to my utmost shock, I discovered that, contrary to my assumption that they had been in regular communication over the matter, Governor Seyi Makinde had not received a single call from President Bola Tinubu,” Obi stated.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  Niger Coup: Tinubu Sends Delegation To Niamey To End Impasse

The former Anambra governor compared the situation to the 2014 Chibok schoolgirls’ abduction, recalling that Tinubu was among those who strongly criticised then-President Goodluck Jonathan for delaying contact with the affected state governor.

“I vividly recall that the current president, Bola Tinubu, led a team of vocal critics who called for President Jonathan’s immediate resignation over the incident, citing his delay in calling the state governor. That call for IMMEDIATE RESIGNATION should actually be the case in this matter,” he said.

Advertisement

Obi further alleged that there have been more than 13 school kidnappings under the current administration and argued that the government’s response has fallen short.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  Tinubu Joins Thousands as Eyo Festival Returns to Lagos After Eight-Year Hiatus

“Today, under President Tinubu, there have been more than 13 school kidnappings, yet the President has found it difficult to call the affected state’s chief executive after more than 50 days… This is outrageous.”

He concluded by urging President Tinubu to either resign or refrain from seeking a second term, insisting that his appeal was driven by concern for the country’s future.

“Amid such an apparent display of incompetence, the president should either resign or, at the very least, abstain from seeking re-election for the sake of our dear country. This call is patriotic, not political,” Obi said.

Advertisement
WhatsApp

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

images 40 images 40
Entertainment13 hours ago

WATCH: ‘I Won, I beat you guys’ — Davido banters with Wike

Davido sparked laughter during a playful exchange with FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, repeatedly declaring, “I won. I beat you guys,”...

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2 President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2
News13 hours ago

BREAKING: FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026, a public holiday to mark Eid ul Mawlid, commemorating the birth...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55
News13 hours ago

How Justice Omotosho’s Conviction of Kanu Now Haunts the Nigerian Judiciary

A member of the Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Global Legal Consortium, Onyedikachi Ifedi, Esq., has challenged the legal basis of Mazi...

image 38 image 38
World News17 hours ago

Robot Runs Wild After Remote Failure at Beijing World Robot Conference (Video)

A humanoid robot reportedly malfunctioned at the 2026 World Robot Conference in Beijing, raising fresh concerns about robot safety, control...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27
News1 day ago

Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria – Dele Farotimi

Human rights lawyer and political activist, Dele Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria.

image 35 image 35
News2 days ago

Barrister Christopher Chidera Questions Legal Basis of Nnamdi Kanu’s Conviction, Calls for Immediate Appeal Hearing

Barrister Christopher Chidera, a member of the Global Legal Consortium to Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has backed the Okwu-Kanu Family’s demand...

GovAdeleke GovAdeleke
News2 days ago

BREAKING: Adeleke Escapes Death as Gunmen Open Fire on Convoy in Osogbo

Suspected thugs attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the...

Nyesom Wike 1782223817 Nyesom Wike 1782223817
News3 days ago

Wike Orders Immediate Shutdown of Car Dealerships Operating on Abuja Green Areas

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has ordered the immediate closure of unauthorised car dealership lots operating on parks, gardens and other...

Nnamdi Kanu ww Nnamdi Kanu ww
News3 days ago

Nnamdi Kanu Writes CJN, Court of Appeal President Over Delay in Pending Cases

Nnamdi Kanu has written to the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the Court of Appeal President, demanding the immediate hearing...

HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1 HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1
Big Brother Naija5 days ago

BBNaija Season 11: Kamsy Evicted as 15 Nominated Housemates Survive Surprise Eviction

Big Brother Naija Season 11 delivered another surprise on Sunday night as only one housemate, Kamsy, was evicted despite 16...

Advertisement