Connect with us

News

FG Threatens Action Over Fresh Killings of Nigerians in South Africa

The Federal Government has warned that it may adopt stronger diplomatic measures after two Nigerians were killed in separate incidents in South Africa…

Published

on

south africans
  • The Federal Government has warned that it may adopt stronger diplomatic measures after two Nigerians were killed in separate incidents in South Africa, accusing security operatives of complicity in the recurring attacks.
VN62

The Federal Government has accused South African security operatives of being complicit in the recurring killings of Nigerian citizens, following the deaths of two Nigerians in separate incidents.

Raising concerns over what it described as a disturbing pattern of attacks, the government warned that it may be forced to adopt stronger diplomatic measures if the killings persist.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through its spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, identified the victims as Emeka Charles Iroegbu and Musa Yunana Joe.

According to the ministry, Iroegbu was allegedly killed on June 28 in Sunnyside, Pretoria, after being subjected to what it described as “gruesome interrogation techniques” by officers of the Tshwane Metro Police.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  VIDEO: Husband Beats Up University HOD for Allegedly Demanding Sexual Favour to Approve Wife’s Project

The ministry further alleged that the same officers had previously been linked to the extra-judicial killing of another Nigerian, Nnaemeka Mathew Andrew Ekpenyong, whose case remains unresolved despite the identities of the four officers allegedly involved being known to the South African Police Service.

Advertisement

The second victim, Musa Yunana Joe, popularly known as Big Joe, was reportedly shot dead outside his business premises in Witbank, Mpumalanga. Authorities are yet to identify those responsible for the attack.

Describing the incidents as alarming, the Federal Government said the repeated killings have heightened concerns over what it called the wrongful profiling of Nigerians in South Africa.

“The continuing pattern of such terrible incidents is clearly evidence of complicity on the part of security operatives, especially officers of the Tshwane Metro Police, which raises the question of state responsibility under International Law,” Ebienfa said.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  ‘Dangerous Regression for Democracy’ – Peter Obi Breaks Silence on Sowore’s Remand in Kuje Prison

He added that records compiled by Nigerian diplomatic missions in South Africa point to possible criminal liability and stressed that the country’s crime challenges should not be used to justify attacks on foreigners.

Advertisement

“It is unfair to target foreigners and make them scapegoats of endemic socio-economic conditions that need to be addressed by the authorities,” he added.

The ministry called on South African authorities to launch immediate investigations into the latest killings and other unresolved cases involving Nigerian nationals, while ensuring that those responsible are brought to justice.

It also warned that Nigeria would not hesitate to consider stronger measures if the attacks and alleged extra-judicial killings continue.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  FG to Seek Compensation for Nigerians' Abandoned Businesses, Properties in South Africa

“We wish to place the Government of South Africa on notice that if the situation continues to persist, all options remain on the table, some of which will be activated if the uncultured and provocative trend of intolerance and apartheid-style behaviour of South Africa against foreigners is not addressed,” the statement said.

Advertisement

The Federal Government extended its condolences to the families of the deceased and assured them that it would continue engaging with South African authorities at the highest level until justice is served.

The latest incidents have renewed concerns over the safety of Nigerians living in South Africa, amid ongoing reports of xenophobic attacks and violence targeting foreign nationals.

WhatsApp
Advertisement

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

images 40 images 40
Entertainment4 hours ago

WATCH: ‘I Won, I beat you guys’ — Davido banters with Wike

Davido sparked laughter during a playful exchange with FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, repeatedly declaring, “I won. I beat you guys,”...

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2 President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2
News4 hours ago

BREAKING: FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026, a public holiday to mark Eid ul Mawlid, commemorating the birth...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55
News4 hours ago

How Justice Omotosho’s Conviction of Kanu Now Haunts the Nigerian Judiciary

A member of the Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Global Legal Consortium, Onyedikachi Ifedi, Esq., has challenged the legal basis of Mazi...

image 38 image 38
World News8 hours ago

Robot Runs Wild After Remote Failure at Beijing World Robot Conference (Video)

A humanoid robot reportedly malfunctioned at the 2026 World Robot Conference in Beijing, raising fresh concerns about robot safety, control...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27
News1 day ago

Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria – Dele Farotimi

Human rights lawyer and political activist, Dele Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria.

image 35 image 35
News2 days ago

Barrister Christopher Chidera Questions Legal Basis of Nnamdi Kanu’s Conviction, Calls for Immediate Appeal Hearing

Barrister Christopher Chidera, a member of the Global Legal Consortium to Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has backed the Okwu-Kanu Family’s demand...

GovAdeleke GovAdeleke
News2 days ago

BREAKING: Adeleke Escapes Death as Gunmen Open Fire on Convoy in Osogbo

Suspected thugs attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the...

Nyesom Wike 1782223817 Nyesom Wike 1782223817
News2 days ago

Wike Orders Immediate Shutdown of Car Dealerships Operating on Abuja Green Areas

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has ordered the immediate closure of unauthorised car dealership lots operating on parks, gardens and other...

Nnamdi Kanu ww Nnamdi Kanu ww
News3 days ago

Nnamdi Kanu Writes CJN, Court of Appeal President Over Delay in Pending Cases

Nnamdi Kanu has written to the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the Court of Appeal President, demanding the immediate hearing...

HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1 HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1
Big Brother Naija5 days ago

BBNaija Season 11: Kamsy Evicted as 15 Nominated Housemates Survive Surprise Eviction

Big Brother Naija Season 11 delivered another surprise on Sunday night as only one housemate, Kamsy, was evicted despite 16...

Advertisement