News
BREAKING: Adeleke Escapes Death as Gunmen Open Fire on Convoy in Osogbo
Suspected thugs attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo.
- Suspected thugs attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo.

Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after he visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, leading to an exchange of gunfire between the assailants and the governor’s security personnel.
The shooting reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes and occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall, where he had met with the monarch.
The governor had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.
An eyewitness, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said Adeleke and his entourage were received by the monarch, to whom the governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return.
According to the eyewitness, trouble began as the meeting was coming to an end after the monarch had offered prayers.
She said Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when heavy gunshots were heard.
She said, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.”
She added, “The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”
A trader operating near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers may have been aware of the governor’s visit and allegedly waited for his arrival.
She said, “We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.”
According to the trader, panic immediately spread among residents and traders in the area as the shooting intensified.
She added, “We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”
The incident caused widespread panic, with traders and residents reportedly abandoning their businesses and seeking shelter during the gunfire.
Confirming the incident, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers.
He also confirmed that no casualty was recorded.
Alimi said, “They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty.”
As of 4:45 pm, sporadic gunshots were still reportedly being heard around the area, while several business owners had hurriedly closed their shops amid fears of further violence.
The circumstances surrounding the attack and the identities of the suspected assailants were yet to be fully established as of the time of filing this report.


