Connect with us

News

Trump Vows to Sue BBC for Up to $5 Billion Over ‘Misleading’ Video Edit

US President Donald Trump says he will file a lawsuit seeking up to $5 billion in damages against the BBC,

Published

on

trump warn
Trump
  • US President Donald Trump says he will file a lawsuit seeking up to $5 billion in damages against the BBC, despite the broadcaster apologizing for a misleading edit of his pre–Capitol riot speech.

US President Donald Trump on Friday escalated his face-off with the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), announcing plans to sue the network for $1 billion to $5 billion over what he described as a “cheated and misleading” edit of one of his speeches.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump said: “We’ll sue them for anywhere between a billion and five billion dollars, probably some time next week. I think I have to do it. They’ve even admitted that they cheated.”

The dispute stems from a BBC documentary that featured an edited clip of Trump’s remarks ahead of the January 6, 2021, US Capitol riot — an edit that critics said implied he directly encouraged violence. Trump’s lawyers sent a letter to the BBC on Monday, accusing the broadcaster of defamation and demanding an apology and financial compensation by Friday.

VN62

While the BBC conceded it had created a misleading impression and issued an apology, it firmly rejected Trump’s claim of defamation.

In a statement Thursday, the broadcaster said its chairman, Samir Shah, had sent “a personal letter to the White House making clear to President Trump that he and the corporation are sorry for the edit of the president’s speech.”

However, it added: “While the BBC sincerely regrets the manner in which the video clip was edited, we strongly disagree there is a basis for a defamation claim.”

Advertisement

DON’T MISS: ISWAP Fighters Ambush Nigerian Military Convoy, Abduct Brigade Commander

The controversy has already triggered significant fallout within the organization, including the resignation of the BBC’s director-general and its top news executive.

Trump also said the backlash had enraged the British public: “The people of the UK are very angry about what happened… it shows the BBC is fake news.”

He added that he intended to raise the matter with UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, saying the British leader had already reached out.

Advertisement
VN62

“I’m going to call him over the weekend. He actually put a call into me. He’s very embarrassed,” Trump claimed.

The BBC, meanwhile, maintains its independence, while Starmer has avoided taking sides against the US president.

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

Nigeria teleoms Nigeria teleoms
News1 day ago

Telcos Challenge Senate to Tell Nigerians the Truth, Insist Country Has Capacity for Real-Time Transmission

Telecom operators, including MTN, Airtel, Globacom and T2 Mobile, have rejected the Senate’s claims of inadequate infrastructure.

gym instructor gym instructor
Entertainment1 day ago

Drama at Fitness Centre as Man Arrests Gym Instructor for Impregnating His Daughter (Video)

Tension erupted at a fitness centre after a man arrived with police officers to arrest a gym instructor accused of...

WhatsApp ipob WhatsApp ipob
News2 days ago

IPOB Slams Tinubu’s Aide Over Kanu Conviction Comparison, Insists ‘Biafra Restoration Is Unstoppable’

The Indigenous People of Biafra has faulted comments credited to a presidential aide comparing Nnamdi Kanu’s terrorism conviction with Sunday...

mirabel mirabel
Entertainment2 days ago

‘I Took Snipper, Felt Completely Overwhelmed’ – Mirabel Narrates How She Was Allegedly Raped in Her Apartment, Releases Suspect’s Messages (Video)

A Nigerian woman identified as Mirabel has sparked nationwide reactions after sharing an emotional video alleging she was raped in...

trumpppp trumpppp
News3 days ago

US Slaps Terror, Cyber Sanctions on Nigerians, Freezes their Assets (Full List)

The United States has sanctioned more than 20 Nigerians and several organisations over alleged ties to terrorism and cybercrime,

Toke Makinwa Toke Makinwa
Entertainment3 days ago

‘Why I Stopped Paying Tithes to Churches’ – Toke Makinwa (Video)

Media personality Toke Makinwa says she no longer pays tithes to churches, choosing instead to support individuals, hospitals, and maternity...

nigerian army w nigerian army w
News3 days ago

BREAKING: National Assembly Approves N1.50trn 2026 Budget for Nigerian Army

The National Assembly has approved a N1.50 trillion allocation for the Nigerian Army in 2026.

54 Individuals 54 Individuals
News5 days ago

IPOB Issues Global Directive Over Nnamdi Kanu’s Medical, Legal Support (Full Details)

IPOB has issued an internal memo calling for global support for Nnamdi Kanu’s medical treatment and legal defence.

happy valentines day happy valentines day
Relationship5 days ago

Happy Valentine: 120 Valentine’s Day Love Messages for Your Wife, Husband, Boyfriend, Girlfriend, Love Ones

Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to express what words often fail to say. These heartfelt love messages will help...

Kanu and Igboho Kanu and Igboho
Politics6 days ago

Sunday Igboho Urges Nnamdi Kanu to Seek Dialogue With Tinubu

Sunday Igboho has praised Nnamdi Kanu for cancelling the Monday sit-at-home in the South-East and urged the IPOB leader to...

Advertisement