News
Nigerians, Others May Be Forced to Leave America as Trump Introduces Fresh Green Card Rule
Donald Trump has directed that Nigerians and other foreign nationals seeking green cards must return to their home countries to complete the application process.
- Donald Trump has directed that Nigerians and other foreign nationals seeking green cards must return to their home countries to complete the application process.

United States President Donald Trump has ordered Nigerians and other foreign nationals applying for green cards to return to their home countries to process their applications, except in extraordinary circumstances.
The new immigration policy was disclosed on Friday in a statement issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
According to the agency, the policy is aimed at restoring what it described as the “original intent” of US immigration law.
The statement explained that foreigners seeking adjustment of status would now be required to process their residency applications through US consular offices abroad under the supervision of the United States Department of State.
“We’re returning to the original intent of the law to ensure aliens navigate our nation’s immigration system properly,” USCIS stated.
“From now on, an alien who is in the U.S. temporarily and wants a Green Card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances.”
USCIS spokesman Zach Kahler said the new policy would help reduce the number of migrants who remain in the United States illegally after unsuccessful residency applications.
“This policy allows our immigration system to function as the law intended instead of incentivising loopholes,” Kahler said.
“When aliens apply from their home country, it reduces the need to find and remove those who decide to slip into the shadows and remain in the U.S. illegally after being denied residency.”
The agency noted that the directive would particularly affect temporary visitors such as students, tourists, and workers who entered the United States on nonimmigrant visas.
“Nonimmigrants, like students, temporary workers, or people on tourist visas, come to the U.S. for a short time and for a specific purpose. Our system is designed for them to leave when their visit is over,” the statement added.
USCIS further argued that processing residency applications through consular offices abroad would free up agency resources to focus on other immigration priorities, including cases involving victims of violent crimes, human trafficking, and naturalisation applications.
“The law was written this way for a reason, and despite the fact that it has been ignored for years, following it will help make our system fairer and more efficient,” the agency stated.
The latest immigration development follows earlier restrictions introduced by the Trump administration.
In December 2025, the administration reportedly suspended the processing of green card and citizenship applications filed by Nigerians and nationals of several other countries affected by the US travel ban.
The suspension affected legal immigration applications handled by USCIS and mainly targeted immigrants from selected African and Asian countries.
DON’T MISS: Oyo Schools Kidnap: Terrorists Open Talks, Give Fresh Condition
Many of those impacted were already residing legally in the United States and seeking to adjust their immigration status or become American citizens.
The Trump administration also previously directed USCIS to freeze immigration petitions, including applications for permanent residency and citizenship, from nationals of 19 countries affected by the travel restrictions announced in June.
The move followed a shooting incident involving two National Guard soldiers in Washington DC, allegedly carried out by an Afghan national.


