Connect with us

News

All Products In Abuja Chinese Supermarket Sold In Yen – FCCPC Confirms

FCCPC has confirmed that the troubled Abuja Chinese supermarket priced its goods in Chinese yen instead of Nigerian naira, violating Nigerian law.

Published

on

All Products In Abuja Chinese Supermarket Sold In Yen - FCCPC Confirms
All Products In Abuja Chinese Supermarket Sold In Yen

FCCPC has confirmed that the troubled Abuja Chinese supermarket priced its goods in Chinese yen instead of Nigerian naira, violating Nigerian law.

This revelation follows accusations of discrimination against Nigerians, with the supermarket owners also allegedly barring Nigerian residents from entry.

Dr. Adamu Abdullahi, the Acting Executive Vice Chairman of the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), has verified reports that the Abuja-based Chinese supermarket, accused of discriminatory practices against Nigerians, priced all its products in Chinese yen instead of Nigerian naira.

VerseNews reports that in an interview with Channels TV in Abuja, Abdullahi disclosed this revelation, highlighting the violations discovered by FCCPC officials during the investigation into the discriminatory practices.

Advertisement

The commission had previously sealed the supermarket within the China General Chamber of Commerce premises, following accusations of discrimination against Nigerian residents, further confirming the allegations as true during their inspection.

“The discovery was enormous when our officials got to the supermarket. All the products are labelled in yen, and that is the only currency accepted in the supermarket, yen.

“That is completely against the law in Nigeria. You don’t sell products in foreign currency. Everything sold in Nigeria should be in Nigerian currency.

“We also confirmed that they only allow Chinese people into the supermarket.

Advertisement

“We have now instructed that the owner must put up a notice that says everybody can go into the supermarket and shop. We are discussing with her to put things right,” Abdullahi said

Speaking further, the FCCPC boss said there will be consequences for such discriminatory practices against Nigerians.

He said the commission would not only sanction the supermarket but would also ensure that 10% of the turnover from the company’s sales last year would be forfeited as part of the fine imposed on it.

According to him, bad behaviour such as discrimination leads to consequences, and the commission will ensure that they apply “the full wrath of the law.”

Advertisement

“At the same time, we are also discussing sanctions because a wrong has been done and bad behaviours lead to consequences. We look at our laws see what the consequences are, and then apply the full wrath of the law.

“There will be fines and then 10% turnover from the company’s last year’s sales,” he added.

This Online News Platform reported that on Monday, FCCPC sealed the Abuja-based Chinese supermarket located within the China General Chamber of Commerce in Abuja.

The development followed allegations of discriminatory practices against Nigerians.

Advertisement

The FCCPC officials shut the supermarket when they stormed the premises last Monday, April 22, 2024.

Boladale Adeyinka, FCCPC’s Director for Surveillance and Investigation, speaking while on enforcement exercise at the premises of the supermarket located at Royal Estate in Abuja on Monday, said the mission of the commission was in response to the viral video.

“The essence of the surveillance and investigation that we conducted today is to verify the allegations and the content of that viral video.

“On arrival, we noticed that the supermarket which is right behind me, was sealed and padlocked externally. Inquiries have shown that yes, as this morning this supermarket was open and people were here.

Advertisement

“CCTV footage also shows that in the morning, two vehicles departed from these very premises allegedly containing the owner of the supermarket, whom we have been able to identify by name and we have our contact details.

“Now the summons, of course since she’s not around and the place is locked, is to serve notice on her to appear before the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission by Wednesday 11 am Wednesday 20/24 of April 2024 by 11 am.

“There are other regulatory tools to be deployed if she fails to attend to this summons. The summons means that on entering into these premises they must see the summon because that is how they gain access to it,” Adeyinka said.

whatsapp

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist1 week ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics1 week ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News1 week ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News1 week ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News1 week ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics1 week ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News1 week ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement