Connect with us

World News

UN Court Orders Israel To Prevent Genocidal Acts In Gaza

The UN top court on Friday said Israel must prevent genocidal acts in Gaza….

Published

on

Israel Gaza war
Israel-Gaza War

The UN top court on Friday said Israel must prevent genocidal acts in Gaza and facilitate “urgently needed” humanitarian aid into the besieged territory, handing down rulings in a case that has drawn global attention.

The court urged Israel to refrain from any possible genocidal acts as it presses its military operation in the Gaza Strip, but stopped short of ordering a ceasefire.

NETHERLANDS OUT
Israel must take “immediate and effective measures to enable the provision of urgently needed basic services and humanitarian assistance to address the adverse conditions of life faced by Palestinians,” the court said.

At this stage, the ICJ was not considering whether Israel is actually committing genocide in Gaza — that process will take several years.

Advertisement

But the court warned Israel to “take all measures in its power to prevent” acts that could fall under the UN Genocide Convention, set up in 1948 as the world reeled from thePalestinian horrors of the Nazi Holocaust.

It also said Israel should “prevent and punish” any incitement to genocide.

The case was brought by South Africa, which has accused Israel of breaching the UN Genocide Convention.

Over two days of hearings earlier this month in the gilded hall of the Peace Palace, where the ICJ sits, lawyers from both sides battled it over the interpretation of this Convention.

Advertisement

South Africa accused Israel of “genocidal” acts that were intended to cause the “destruction of a substantial part of the Palestinian national, racial and ethnical group.”

It urged the court to order Israel to “immediately suspend” its military operations in Gaza and allow humanitarian aid to reach the civiilians there.

‘Grossly distorted’
Israel dismissed the case as a “grossly distorted story” and said that if any genocidal acts had been carried out, they had been executed against Israel during the October 7 Hamas attacks.

“What Israel seeks by operating in Gaza is not to destroy a people, but to protect a people, its people, who are under attack on multiple fronts,” said Tal Becker, Israel’s top lawyer.

Advertisement

The question now is whether the court’s rulings will be obeyed.

Although its rulings are legally binding, it has no mechanism to enforce them and they are sometimes completely ignored — it has ordered Russia to stop its invasion of Ukraine for example.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has already hinted Israel would not abide by any ruling saying “no one will stop us”, not even a verdict in The Hague.

Advertisement

But experts believe that aside from the significant symbolic impact of the ruling, there could be tangible consequences on the ground.

“It makes it much harder for other states to continue to support Israel in the face of a neutral third party finding there is a risk of genocide,” said Juliette McIntyre, international law expert from the University of South Australia.

“States may withdraw military or other support for Israel in order to avoid this,” she added.

The October 7 Hamas attack resulted in the death of around 1,140 people in Israel, most of them civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

Advertisement

At least 26,083 Palestinians, around 70 percent of them women, young children and adolescents, have been killed in the Gaza Strip in Israeli bombardments and ground offensive since then, according to the Hamas government’s health ministry.

AFP

WhatsAppCOnnect

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist1 week ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics1 week ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News1 week ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News1 week ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News1 week ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics1 week ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News1 week ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement