Connect with us

Politics

Why Ex-Governor, Yari Was Arrested – DSS

A source said that Yari was being detained for being the arrowhead of a fresh plot to destabilise the 10th Senate after his bid to become the Senate President failed.

Published

on

DSSVerseNewsNG1
Department Of State Service (DSS)

The Department of State Service (DSS) has denied arresting Senator Abdulaziz Yari for alleged refusal to pick President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s phone calls.

VerseNews Nigeria reports that the Service in a statement signed by Peter Afunanya, Ph.D, Public Relations Officer DSS National Headquarters Abuja on Sunday 9th July, 2023 said news platforms variously and wrongly fed the public with misleading narratives and accusations against the Service.

The statement didn’t revealed exactly the crime committed by Yari but stated that the reason for his arrest was never in connection to his failure to pick the president’s phone call.

The statement reads; “The attention of the Department of State Services (DSS) has been drawn to false reports by sections of the online media particularly SaharaReporters, Peoples Gazette and Jackson Ude. The so called news platforms variously and wrongly fed the public with misleading narratives and accusations against the Service.”

Advertisement

“For instance, SaharaReporters wrote that the Service stormed the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) and carted away certain files from them. Jackson Ude falsely claimed that there is a rumble in the DSS due to nepotism. He further accused the Service of snooping on Judges on the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal.”

“On its part, Peoples Gazette reported that Senator Abdulaziz Yari was arrested for alleged refusal to pick the President’s phone call (whatever that meant). There are other variants of unsubstantiated and anonymous petitions flying around against the DGSS, his family and some officials. The Service ordinarily would not have responded to these inaccuracies but for the fickle minded and vulnerable persons as well as the unsuspecting public that may take the lies for facts.”

The Service further denied all allegations of arrest and executing operations of any kind at the ICPC and CCB published on various news platforms.

According to DSS, the allegations lack factual basis or credibility sponsored to smear or impeach the integrity of the Service and its leadership.

Advertisement

DON’T MISS:

The statement continues; “To set the records straight, the DSS did not execute operations of any kind at the ICPC and CCB or remove files from their offices. Instructively, the two agencies have, on their own, refuted the news in widely circulated press statements. In fact, the Service denies all the allegations as they lack any factual basis or credibility. They are only figments of the creators’ imaginations.”

“This is more so that the publishers in question have been noted in and outside the country for their notoriety for peddling fake news, sensational and gutter journalism. Without a modicum of proper and civilised behaviour, they indulge in character assassinations and sundry blackmail as business.”

“It is not in doubt that their reports under reference are hatchet jobs designed to smear or impeach the integrity of the Service and its leadership. Notably, the Service proactively alerted the public about this development earlier in June, 2023.”

“While it is aware of the sponsors of these campaigns of calumny, it will simply allow them to exhaust themselves knowing too well that they would someday be brought to justice. Many days, it is said, are sure for the thief but there will be that one day for the owner of the house.”

Advertisement

“It is clear that the writers and their sponsors are oblivious of the accolades the Service has continued to receive from majority of stakeholders for excellent performance and its professional demeanour in handling many critical issues of national importance. Rather, they have chosen to use their platforms to subvert the Agency and undermine its capabilities.”

“Restating its respect for the rule of law, independence and autonomy of other agencies including the Judiciary and Legislature, it will not shirk its responsibilities or allow some detractors to prevent it from undertaking its statutory duties or carrying out lawful orders by constituted authorities.”

“If Yari or anyone else is to be invited or taken into custody, the Service will not hesitate to do so as far as that is procedurally done within the confines of the law. The Service will remain focused, resilient, patriotic and professional in the conduct of its affairs. Members of the public are enjoined to disregard the misleading stories which are aimed at causing disaffection in the country and disparaging the Service’ leadership.”

“The Service will continue to work with relevant stakeholders to address security challenges in the country in line with its mandate and the directives of the President. It does not matter how many times naysayers and hostile agents will plan to distract it.”

Advertisement

This Online News Media gathered that Yari was on Thursday, allegedly arrested by the DSS.

A source said that Yari was being detained for being the arrowhead of a fresh plot to destabilise the 10th Senate after his bid to become the Senate President failed.

The source also said the DSS decided to pick Yari up for questioning after it discovered he had become a rallying point for opposition against Akpabio, especially from the North.

However, Yari was released on Sunday afternoon.

Advertisement

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist2 weeks ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics2 weeks ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News2 weeks ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News2 weeks ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News2 weeks ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics2 weeks ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News2 weeks ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement