Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Gunmen Rob Kogi Tribunal Secretary, Cart Away Sensitive Parties Election Documents

The attack occurred just before the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) office at around 1:20 PM on Monday.

Published

on

Breaking VerseNews
Breaking News - Gumen

Gunmen attacked the secretary of the Kogi State Governorship Election Tribunal, Mr. David Umar Mike, on Monday and stole sensitive petition documents related to the just concluded gubernatorial election, the Nigerian Police have disclosed.

VerseNews reports that the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP William Aya, who confirmed the incident on Wednesday, said the attackers, armed with guns, made away with all the petition documents filed by five political parties.

According to the police, the stolen documents belonged to the Action Alliance (AA), Action People’s Party (APP), Peoples Redemption Party (PRP), Social Democratic Party (SDP), and included two record books and a bag containing Mr. Mike’s personal belongings.

Advertisement

The attack occurred just before the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) office at around 1:20 PM on Monday.

Mr. Mike and his colleagues were on their way to the tribunal venue at the state High Court complex in Lokoja when they were targeted.

The police report states that on December 4th, 2023, at around 6:20 PM, Mr. Mike, along with his Confidential Secretary, Ms. Labode Apreala, and Assistant Secretary, Mr. Hassimu Adamu, reported the incident to the State Criminal Investigation Department.

Advertisement

The Police added that he “reported that on the said date, three of them left their Hotel rooms in Lokoja about 1300hrs, heading to their Office at the High Court Complex driving in his (David’s) Peugeot 406 Car.

“That just before the CBN at about 1320hrs, one SUV vehicle which had earlier overtaken him blocked his car with two other SUVs following behind.

“All of them surrounded and blocked him as he attempted to reverse. That he saw about seven hooded men all heavily armed and dressed in black attire who shot severally into the air and dragged him and his two other colleagues out of their car, ransacked the car and made away with all the petition documents.”

SP Aya further stated that the State Commissioner of Police, CP Onuoha Benthrand, has ordered a thorough investigation into the incident. The Police Command has urged the public to avoid making statements that could prejudice the ongoing investigation.

Advertisement
WhatsAppCOnnect

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist1 week ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics1 week ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News1 week ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News1 week ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News1 week ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics1 week ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News1 week ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement