Connect with us

Politics

BREAKING: Supreme Court Dismisses Atiku, Obi’s Appeals, Upholds Tinubu 2023 Election Victory

The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the victory of President Bola Tinubu in the February 25 presidential election.

Published

on

ShettimaTinubu
Kashim Shettima - Bola Ahmed Tinubu

The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the victory of President Bola Tinubu in the February 25 presidential election.

VerseNews reports that the apex court in its ruling dismissed the appeals by the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Atiku Abubakar and his Labour Party (LP) counterpart Peter Obi.

A seven-judge panel ruled as without merit the opposition appeals over claims of fraud, electoral law violations, and Tinubu’s ineligibility to run for president.

Advertisement

The apex court thrashed all the grounds of appeal of Atiku and PDP on qualification, non-compliance with the Electoral Act, the 25% votes in FCT, and electoral malpractices.

“On the whole, having resolved all the issues against the appellant, it is my view that there is no merit in the appeal and it is hereby dismissed,” Justice Inyang Okoro said in dismissing Atiku’s appeal.

“The judgment of the court below delivered on September 6th, 2023 affirming the election of the second respondent as the duly elected President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is hereby affirmed.”

It listened to Obi’s appeal for about five minutes. In dealing with the LP’s presidential candidate on the issue of double nomination of Vice-President Kashim Shettima, the court held that the issue had been dealt with in its ruling on May 26.

Advertisement

“As for issue Number 4 which has to do with double nomination which was not in Atiku’s appeal, it is the view of this court that this issue having been dealt with by this court, this court cannot allow the matter to be re-litigated in this very court. There must be an end to litigation,” Justice Okoro held.

“For us to sit down now and talk about when this man resigned or did not resign when they did fresh primaries to replace him which we have done before, we are not going to do this again.

“This matter ought not to have come in. When this matter was pending at the trial court, this court delivered that judgment. If you read the judgment of the lower court, they mentioned that the Supreme Court has settled this matter and that should have been the end.

“You now bring this issue of double nomination for us to sit on it and write another judgment, this is not how it should be. This appeal lacks merit and is hereby dismissed.”

Advertisement

An election appeals court last month already rejected the two main opposition party petitions, including allegations of fraud, violations by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), and claims Tinubu did not meet the constitutional requirements.

Along with its original claims, Atiku’s legal team had also sought to introduce new evidence, it claims shows Tinubu submitted a forged certificate from the Chicago State University as a qualification to the election commission when he applied to run for president.

Vowing an agenda of “Renewed Hope”, Tinubu took office in May and has quickly introduced reforms his government says will help grow Africa’s largest economy and attract more foreign investment.

Advertisement
WhatsAppCOnnect

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

Boko Haram terror group Boko Haram terror group
News36 minutes ago

Oyo Schools Kidnap: Terrorists Open Talks, Give Fresh Condition

Fresh fears have spread across parts of Oyo State after terrorists who abducted pupils and teachers from multiple schools reportedly...

carrick carrick
Sports21 hours ago

Michael Carrick Gets Permanent Deal as Manchester United Manager 

Michael Carrick will remain in charge of Manchester United next season after guiding the Red Devils to a third-placed finish...

Lagos raises the alarm over adulterated palm oil in markets seals shop2 Lagos raises the alarm over adulterated palm oil in markets seals shop2
News21 hours ago

Lagos Govt Raises Alarm Over Adulterated Palm Oil in Markets, Seals Shops

The Lagos State Consumer Protection Agency has warned residents against the growing circulation of adulterated palm oil in markets across...

segun segun
Education2 days ago

BREAKING: Tinubu Appoints 40-Year-Old Professor Segun Aina as New JAMB Registrar

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Professor Segun Aina as the new Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

Niniola and her husband Niniola and her husband
Entertainment3 days ago

Nigerian Singer Niniola Announces Tragic Loss of Husband

Nigerian afro-house singer, Niniola Apata, has announced the death of her husband.

Lagos buses Lagos buses
News3 days ago

Lagos Govt Bans Movement of Goods on Public Buses

The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority has announced a ban on the transportation of goods and heavy luggage on regulated...

NFF Settles For Another Foreign Coach For Super Eagles NFF Settles For Another Foreign Coach For Super Eagles
Sports3 days ago

AFCON 2027: Nigeria Drawn Into Tough Qualification Group

Nigeria national football team will need a near-perfect campaign to avoid missing out on the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations...

arsenal 22 arsenal 22
Sports3 days ago

Arsenal End 22-Year Wait, Finally Crowned Premier League Champions

Arsenal have been crowned Premier League champions for the first time in 22 years after Manchester City were held to...

seyi cubana seyi cubana
Celebrity Gist5 days ago

Seyi Tinubu Sends Strong Message to Cubana Chief Priest after APC Ticket Loss

Seyi Tinubu, son of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, sends strong message to celebrity businessman Cubana Chief Priest...

Cubana Chief Priest Cubana Chief Priest
Celebrity Gist5 days ago

Cubana Chief Priest Breaks Silence After He loses APC Ticket for Reps Seat

Celebrity businessman Cubana Chief Priest has denied participating in the APC primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat.

Advertisement