Connect with us

News

‘I’m Not Against Islam’ – Wike Speaks On Demolishing National Mosque

Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), has given a 24-hour ultimatum to the…

Published

on

Abuja National Mosque
Abuja National Mosque

Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), has given a 24-hour ultimatum to the Executive Secretary of the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), Engr Shehu Ahmed Hadi, to clarify the government’s stance on the partial demolition of the National Mosque and its compensation plan.

VerseNews gathered that parts of the land belonging to the National Mosque will be affected by road expansion, prompting its management to demand compensation in terms of other plots.

The minister, who gave the order when he received members of the Abuja National Mosque Management Committee led by its Chairman, the Etsu Nupe, Alhaji Yahaya Abubakar, also debunked reports that his administration was promoting policies that were against a certain religion.

Advertisement

He said, “I want to start from what I was told; that I instructed the demolition of the National Mosque. I want you to know that in politics, people will use a lot of things to fight their opponents.

“The Sultan of Sokoto is one person I have high regards for, I don’t just see him as an elder brother, but like a father.

“Anything that has to do with the National Mosque, of which he is the president; I will always give it support.

“You said Obasanjo launched the appeal fund for the support of the renovation of the National Mosque. No government will not support the management of the national monument. We have a role to ensure that worship centres are well taken care of.”

Advertisement

Wike noted that those trying to whip religious sentiment were mischievously doing so to score cheap political points.

He further said, “We are not targeting any religious group or ethnicity; we are doing what we can for the good of all FCT residents and Nigerians at large.

“Don’t allow politicians who do not have the capacity to face me in any way to use religion as a weapon against me.”

Wike noted that as a Nigerian, he had no reason to instigate hate speech against any religious group, but to support any that had a genuine cause.

Advertisement

While assuring that the FCTA would not hesitate to support the maintenance of the National Mosque and the National Ecumenical Centre, having been declared as national monuments, Wike called on religious leaders to preach unity and peaceful coexistence.

Earlier, the Etsu Nupe urged the minister to support the maintenance project of the mosque, which he said had been stalled for some time.

He also pleaded with the minister to grant the committee more time to develop plots of land allocated to it by the FCTA.

Advertisement
WhatsAppCOnnect

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. rhodes

    October 20, 2023 at 7:38 am

    Ηmm is anyone else encoᥙntering problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end
    or if it’s tһe blog. Any feedback would be greɑtly appreciɑted.

    • VerseNews

      October 20, 2023 at 2:24 pm

      What problem do you encounter because everything here is good. contact us on WhatsApp on 08140772758 or email: newsverseng@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist2 weeks ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics2 weeks ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News2 weeks ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News2 weeks ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News2 weeks ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics2 weeks ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News2 weeks ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement