Connect with us

News

Anthony Joshua Speaks from Hospital After Deadly Auto Crash

Former world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has spoken from hospital after surviving a horrific crash in Nigeria that claimed the lives of two of his close friends.

Published

on

kamam484 anthony
Anthony Joshua
  • Former world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has spoken from hospital after surviving a horrific crash in Nigeria that claimed the lives of two of his close friends.
VN62

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua has spoken from hospital after surviving a high-speed road crash in Nigeria that left him injured and claimed the lives of two of his close friends.

Joshua said he feels pain “all over his body” following the accident, which occurred on Monday and involved a black Lexus SUV in which he was a passenger. The crash resulted in the deaths of Sina Ghami and Latif “Latz” Ayodele.

Sources close to the British boxer, 36, disclosed that he will remain hospitalised into the New Year as doctors continue to monitor his condition and carry out further tests. Although he reportedly has “searing pain” in his knees, medical examinations have so far revealed no fractures.

Joshua’s promoters, Matchroom, declined to provide details of his injuries but confirmed: “Anthony is in a stable condition and will remain there for observation.”

The Federal Road Safety Corps has released preliminary findings on the crash, stating that it involved a black Lexus Jeep and a stationary red commercial Sinotruck along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in Ogun State.

Advertisement

In an official statement, the FRSC said: “Preliminary reports from the Ogun Sector Command indicate that the crash occurred at about 1200HRS and was promptly reported to the Corps. FRSC operatives arrived at the scene within three (3) minutes of notification, enabling swift rescue operations, evacuation of victims, effective traffic control, and prevention of secondary crashes.”

The agency added: “The incident involved two vehicles: a black Lexus Jeep and a stationary red commercial Sinotruck with unknown registration number. A total of five adult males were involved in the crash.

“Two persons sadly lost their lives, one sustained injuries, while two others escaped unhurt. Anthony Joshua was rescued alive and sustained minor injuries. The injured victim was evacuated for medical attention, while the remains of the deceased were conveyed to Livewell Morgue, Ajaka, Sagamu.”

According to the FRSC, preliminary findings suggest that the Lexus Jeep was “suspected to be travelling beyond the legally prescribed speed limit” before losing control during an overtaking manoeuvre and crashing into the stationary truck.

Advertisement

DON’T MISS: ‘Nigerians Must Pay Tax, No Going Back’: Tinubu Insist New Tax Law Will Take Effect January 1

Mobile phone footage circulating on social media showed a visibly shaken Joshua being assisted from the wreckage. Reports indicated that he had been seated in the rear of the SUV, which was carrying four other adult males at the time of the accident.

The Ogun State Police Command also confirmed the incident in a statement, saying: “Anthony Joshua was involved in a road traffic accident today – Monday December 29, 2025, at about 11am, in Makun, Ogun State. The incident occurred along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, just before Danco Filling Station, near the Sagamu Interchange on the Ibadan-bound axis.

WhatsApp

“The vehicle conveying Anthony Joshua, a Lexus SUV, was involved in the accident under circumstances that are currently being investigated. He was seated in the rear of the vehicle, sustained minor injuries and receiving medical attention.

“Tragically, two other passengers in the vehicle lost their lives at the scene. The deceased have been conveyed to Livewell Hospital Morgue, Sagamu.”

Advertisement

The police added: “The Ogun State Police Command extends heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased and assures the public that a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the accident has commenced. Further updates on the incident will be communicated as investigation progresses.”

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

Bruno Bruno
Sports22 hours ago

Man United Captain Bruno Fernandes Wins Premier League Player of the Season

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes has been crowned Premier League Player of the Season...

Rotimi Amaechi ADC Rotimi Amaechi ADC
Politics22 hours ago

I’m the Most Experienced, Most Electable Candidate in ADC — Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi has declared himself the most qualified presidential aspirant in the African Democratic Congress ahead...

Abia Governor Alex Otti Abia Governor Alex Otti
News22 hours ago

‘Abia Under Me Has Changed Completely’ – Alex Otti Reveals Major Achievements After Three Years in Office

Abia State Governor Alex Otti says his administration has constructed over 400 roads across the state and reduced Abia’s debt...

460840885 1330647207915400 3100274530716194674 n 460840885 1330647207915400 3100274530716194674 n
Entertainment23 hours ago

‘I Started Smoking in JSS3’ — Ebuka Opens Up on 13-Year Addiction Battle

Media personality Ebuka Obi-Uchendu has opened up about his long battle with smoking addiction.

hunger woman hunger woman
News24 hours ago

35 Million Nigerians Risk Acute Hunger in Coming Months — UN Warns

The United Nations on Friday warned that about 35 million Nigerians are at risk of acute hunger from June to...

ahmusys ahmusys
Entertainment1 day ago

‘Why I Froze My Eggs at 30’ — Ashmusy Reveals

Nigerian content creator Ashmusy has opened up about freezing her eggs, failed relationships, childhood struggles....

Charles Soludo 1 1 Charles Soludo 1 1
News1 day ago

Anambra New Burial Law, Bans Presentation of Cows, Goats as Condolence Gifts

The Anambra State Government has introduced strict new funeral regulations, banning midweek burials, expensive condolence gifts, wake-keep ceremonies...

JAMB logo JAMB logo
Education1 day ago

JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has released 279 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination results that had earlier been withheld for...

trump warn trump warn
News1 day ago

Nigerians, Others May Be Forced to Leave America as Trump Introduces Fresh Green Card Rule

Donald Trump has directed that Nigerians and other foreign nationals seeking green cards must return to their home countries to...

Boko Haram terror group Boko Haram terror group
News1 day ago

Oyo Schools Kidnap: Terrorists Open Talks, Give Fresh Condition

Fresh fears have spread across parts of Oyo State after terrorists who abducted pupils and teachers from multiple schools reportedly...

Advertisement