Connect with us

News

BREAKING: NCC Announces New Deadline For NIN-SIM Linkage

NCC has announced new deadline for NIN-SIM linkage.

Published

on

Deadline For NIN-SIM Linkage
NCC Announces New Deadline For NIN-SIM Linkage

NCC has announced new deadline for NIN-SIM linkage.

Telecommunication companies will disconnect more Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) numbers not linked to National Identification Numbers (NIN) on Friday, March 29, 2024, the Nigeria Communications Commission has said.

The Director of Public Publicity at the NCC, Reuben Mouka, told The PUNCH on a telephone call that that there would be no changes to the deadline for the next phase of disconnection

The NCC’s directive for disconnection is being rolled out in stages, with the second phase set for March 29, 2024, continuing as previously announced.

Advertisement

The initial phase took place on February 28, 2024. Subsequently, whilethe third phase is slated to begin on April 15, 2024.

“We issued a publication that you can refer to. We specified certain deadlines and stipulated that subscribers who do not comply with the directive would be barred. And that has not changed.”

Mouka said at the last deadline on February 28, 2024, about 40 million lines that were not linked to NIN were barred.

MTN Nigeria reported that over 4.2 million lines were disconnected from its network after the February 28 deadline.

Advertisement

The NCC has reiterated its commitment to enforcing regulatory measures aimed at enhancing security and regulatory compliance within the telecommunications sector.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  Tinubu Extends Customs Boss Adewale Adeniyi’s Tenure by Six Months

The SIM-NIN linkage initiative is a crucial step towards improving the integrity of subscriber data and enhancing security measures within the telecommunications industry.

The NIN-SIM linkage policy was initially introduced by the Nigerian government in December 2020. This directive requires all telephone line users in Nigeria to associate their SIM cards with their NIN.

In December of the previous year, the NCC issued a directive stipulating that all telecommunications operators in Nigeria, including major providers like MTN, Airtel, and Globacom, among others, must enforce complete network barring on all phone lines for which subscribers have not provided their NINs by February 28, 2024.

Advertisement

Barely two weeks ago, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project issued a warning to take legal action against the NCC if it did not revoke the directive instructing network providers to block the phone lines of individuals who have not linked their SIM cards to their NINs.

In an open letter addressed to the Chief Executive Officer of NCC, Aminu Maida, SERAP emphasised the necessity for further consultation and the establishment of an efficient process to enable Nigerians who have yet to link their SIM cards to their NINs to do so.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  NCC Gives Reason SIM Cards Linked With NIN Are Blocked

Dated March 9, 2024, and signed by the Deputy Director of SERAP, Kolawole Oluwadare, the letter condemned the directive to network providers, asserting that it constitutes a severe infringement on citizens’ rights to freedom of expression, information, and privacy.

Last week, the National Identity Management Commission and the NCC issued a joint statement unveiling a strategic partnership aimed at simplifying the NIN-SIM linkage procedures for telecommunications subscribers nationwide.

Advertisement

Both agencies reaffirmed their dedication to enhancing the processes involved and improving efficiency regarding the NIN and SIM card linkage initiative.

They acknowledge the importance of this initiative in bolstering security measures and enhancing service delivery across the country.

Last December, the Central Bank of Nigeria announced its intention to freeze accounts lacking a BVN, or NIN, starting April 2024.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  NCC Gives Fresh Update On Voice, Data Services Affected by Undersea Cable Cuts

It also mandated that all BVNs or NINs linked to accounts or wallets be electronically revalidated by January 31, 2024.

Advertisement

Since the issuance of this directive by the apex bank, deposit money banks have been actively utilizing their communication platforms to urge customers to update their NIN and BVN details.

In the circular by the CBN, it instructed banks to place a “Post no Debit” restriction – which prevents customers from making withdrawals, transfers, or any other debits “for all existing Tier-1 accounts/wallets without BVN or NIN.”.

‘Post No Debit’ is a term used to describe a restriction imposed by banks on specific accounts, preventing customers from making withdrawals, transfers, or any other debits from such accounts.

“Effective immediately, any unfunded account/wallet shall be placed on ‘Post No Debit or Credit’ until the new process is satisfied. Effective March 1, 2024, all funded accounts or wallets shall be placed on ‘Post No Debit or Credit’ and no further transactions permitted.”

Advertisement
whatsapp

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

images 40 images 40
Entertainment2 hours ago

WATCH: ‘I Won, I beat you guys’ — Davido banters with Wike

Davido sparked laughter during a playful exchange with FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, repeatedly declaring, “I won. I beat you guys,”...

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2 President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2
News2 hours ago

BREAKING: FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026, a public holiday to mark Eid ul Mawlid, commemorating the birth...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55
News3 hours ago

How Justice Omotosho’s Conviction of Kanu Now Haunts the Nigerian Judiciary

A member of the Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Global Legal Consortium, Onyedikachi Ifedi, Esq., has challenged the legal basis of Mazi...

image 38 image 38
World News7 hours ago

Robot Runs Wild After Remote Failure at Beijing World Robot Conference (Video)

A humanoid robot reportedly malfunctioned at the 2026 World Robot Conference in Beijing, raising fresh concerns about robot safety, control...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27
News24 hours ago

Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria – Dele Farotimi

Human rights lawyer and political activist, Dele Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria.

image 35 image 35
News2 days ago

Barrister Christopher Chidera Questions Legal Basis of Nnamdi Kanu’s Conviction, Calls for Immediate Appeal Hearing

Barrister Christopher Chidera, a member of the Global Legal Consortium to Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has backed the Okwu-Kanu Family’s demand...

GovAdeleke GovAdeleke
News2 days ago

BREAKING: Adeleke Escapes Death as Gunmen Open Fire on Convoy in Osogbo

Suspected thugs attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the...

Nyesom Wike 1782223817 Nyesom Wike 1782223817
News2 days ago

Wike Orders Immediate Shutdown of Car Dealerships Operating on Abuja Green Areas

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has ordered the immediate closure of unauthorised car dealership lots operating on parks, gardens and other...

Nnamdi Kanu ww Nnamdi Kanu ww
News3 days ago

Nnamdi Kanu Writes CJN, Court of Appeal President Over Delay in Pending Cases

Nnamdi Kanu has written to the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the Court of Appeal President, demanding the immediate hearing...

HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1 HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1
Big Brother Naija5 days ago

BBNaija Season 11: Kamsy Evicted as 15 Nominated Housemates Survive Surprise Eviction

Big Brother Naija Season 11 delivered another surprise on Sunday night as only one housemate, Kamsy, was evicted despite 16...

Advertisement