Connect with us

News

Wike Orders Arrest Of Owner Of Collapsed Two-Storey Building In Abuja

The building is located at Lagos Crescent, Garki Village in the Garki District of the nation’s capital.

Published

on

WhatsApp Image 2023 08 24 at 3.15.41 PM
Collapse Building in Abuja

The newly appointed minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered the arrest of the owner of a two-storey building which collapsed in Abuja on Wednesday night where two persons died.

It would be recalled a two-storey building came down yesterday’s night. The said house had 39 residents, with two certified dead, and 37 rescued.

The building is located at Lagos Crescent, Garki Village in the Garki District of the nation’s capital.

Reacting to the incident, Wike at the scene noted that original residents of the area were designated for resettlement, however wondered why for years, the FCT Administration could not carry out such resettlement.

Advertisement

While he applauded the rescue efforts, Wike said; “It is unfortunate that we woke up this morning to the very disturbing news of this building collapse. It is not what we contemplated. Let me thank the agencies particularly NEMA and FEMA that have supported us to rescue not less than 37 lives.

“It is unfortunate that we lost two lives. I will appeal to the Permanent Secretary to make sure that funds are raised to pay the hospital bills of those who were rescued so that we do not lose any more person, and this should be done immediately.

“Secondly, these are the things we have been saying, nobody knows whose turn it will be, therefore when government says it will take actions in areas we believe there are illegal developments or buildings that do not comply with the standard codes, it is not as if anybody has any personal vendetta but for me it is for us to do the right thing.

“I don’t know why it has taken long that the FCTA has not resettled them and so we will take immediate action to see that the indigenes of these place are resettled and then government has to plan out this place.

Advertisement

“When government says take building plan, it is not to suffer anybody but to make sure that everyone is protected. Cities are planned to forestall this kind of occurrences. Imagine buildings without approval. I will ask that we must identify and arrest the owner of this property. It is very important.

“Government will, of course, take over this area and make sure no further development is carried out here. I want all the stakeholders here to please work with government in the interest of everybody. No one has come here to say I like A, I don’t like B. I know sometimes government’s decisions may not be too comfortable with the people, but in the long run, it is in the interest of the people.

“Now we are all gathered here and none of us is happy we are here. These are the things we are trying to forestall. Again I sympathize with those who lost dear lives, while government will pick up the bills of all those in the hospital. We will also support the rescue efforts and ensure that they get to the last level and rescue everyone still trapped in the rubble”.

Meanwhile, the Director General of FCT Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Dr Abbas Idriss said 37 persons were rescued at the scene of the collapsed structure.

Advertisement

He said the victims were evacuated to various medical facilities in Abuja.

“Thirty Seven persons have so far been rescued and evacuated to hospital, others reportedly still trapped. Rescue team and others are on ground. Rescue operations on but slowly due to ongoing rain”. They are making frantic efforts at getting an excavator to remove people from the rubble”, he added.

Also speaking, Director, Department of Development Control, Mukhtar Galadima, explained that the building had no planning approval because the area is meant for resettlement.

“The building is located within the Garki indigenous settlement. The building had two suspended floors, one used for commercial activities while the other floors were used as residential accommodation. The building caved in yesterday (Wednesday) and 37 persons were rescued

Advertisement

“The status of the place is that it is not a planned area so the development had no planning approval. In fact, the area is meant for resettlement from here to Apo resettlement town”

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

woman cries woman cries
News1 week ago

My Husband Makes Love From Midnight Till Dawn’ — Kaduna Woman Seeks divorce

A 37-year-old woman, Linda Stephen, has asked a Kaduna Customary Court to dissolve her six-year marriage,

peller peller
Entertainment1 week ago

Peller Faces Possible Ban as Nigerians Mass-Report His 9.6M TikTok Account

Popular TikToker Peller faces mass reports on his 9.6M-followers TikTok account after criticizing Nigerians for ranting about the government online.

NYSC dancing NYSC dancing
Education1 week ago

BREAKING: NYSC Begins Payment of N77,000 Monthly Allowance To Corps Members

The Federal Government has begun paying the N77,000 monthly NYSC allowance after a six-month delay, with some corps members confirming...

Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus Timi Dakolo and Femi Lazarus
Celebrity Gist2 weeks ago

How Apostle Femi Lazarus Is Selling Gift of Spirit God Gave Him for Free – Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo criticized Apostle Femi Lazarus for condemning gospel artistes who charge for ministrations while running a paid ministry school.

peter obi and tinubu peter obi and tinubu
Politics2 weeks ago

Presidency Warns Peter Obi Over ‘Collapsed Democracy’ Comment

Presidency dismissed Peter Obi’s claim that Nigeria’s democracy has collapsed, calling it exaggerated and baseless.

donald trump donald trump
World News2 weeks ago

Trump announces 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil

Trump announced a 25% tariff on countries purchasing Venezuelan oil, citing Venezuela's alleged hostility and criminal infiltration.

enugu imo police enugu imo police
News2 weeks ago

Anambra, Enugu Police Join Forces to Crush Border Crimes

The Anambra and Enugu State Police Commands have joined forces to combat cross-border crimes by sharing intelligence and resources.

airport airport
News2 weeks ago

US Warns Nigerians, Threatens Permanent Bans from Entering Country

The US has warned Nigerian travelers that overstaying their visas could result in a permanent ban from re-entering the country.

senator natasha akpoti senator natasha akpoti
Politics2 weeks ago

Plot to Remove Suspended Senator Natasha Deepens as Constituents File Recall Petition

Some constituents of Kogi Central have petitioned INEC to recall suspended Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, citing loss of confidence and misconduct.

surgery surgery
News2 weeks ago

Lagos to Sponsor Open-Heart Surgeries Worth ₦8.5 Million Each for 30 Indigent Patients

The Lagos State Government will provide free open-heart surgeries for 30 indigent patients, fully funded by Governor Sanwo-Olu.

Advertisement