Connect with us

News

Ghana Declines to Host South African President Ramaphosa Over Alleged Killing of Citizen, Xenophobia Concerns

Ghana has postponed South African President Cyril Ramaphosa’s planned state visit, citing concerns over the reported killing of a Ghanaian citizen and alleged xenophobic…

Published

on

IMG 5427 scaled
  • Ghana has postponed South African President Cyril Ramaphosa’s planned state visit, citing concerns over the reported killing of a Ghanaian citizen and alleged xenophobic attacks against Ghanaians living in South Africa.
VN62

Fresh diplomatic tensions have emerged between Ghana and South Africa after the Ghanaian government declined to host South African President Cyril Ramaphosa for a planned state visit, citing concerns over the reported killing of a Ghanaian citizen and alleged xenophobic attacks against its nationals.

President Ramaphosa had been expected in Ghana during the first week of August for a state visit aimed at strengthening the longstanding relationship between both countries and advancing discussions on bilateral cooperation.

However, Ghanaian officials said the visit has been postponed following the death of 40-year-old Bashiru Isak, who the Ghanaian government says was killed during demonstrations linked to renewed attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa on June 30, 2026.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  AFCON 2023: Ghana Coach Chris Hughton Sacked

According to Ghana, Isak was shot dead during what it described as “anti-immigrant demonstrations linked to ongoing xenophobic attacks” in Cape Town’s Khayelitsha township.

Officials in Accra said postponing the visit reflects Ghana’s growing concern over the safety of its citizens living in South Africa, stressing that protecting Ghanaians abroad must take priority over high-level diplomatic engagements.

Advertisement

The Ghanaian government has also lodged a formal protest with South African authorities over Isak’s death and raised broader concerns about the security of its nationals residing in the country.

South Africa, however, has rejected Ghana’s account of the incident.

Authorities in Pretoria insisted that no fatalities were recorded during the June 30 demonstrations, which drew thousands of protesters across different parts of the country.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  BREAKING: Burial Plans Announced for ARISE News Anchor Somtochukwu Maduagwu

South Africa’s Justice Minister, “Mmamoloko Kubayi,” accused Ghanaian authorities of spreading inaccurate information capable of damaging the country’s international reputation.

Advertisement

“It is concerning that Ghanaian authorities continue to communicate false information about South Africa regarding developments on irregular migration,” Kubayi said in a statement.

She added, “The spread of false information to perpetuate the false narrative that South Africa is xenophobic is unacceptable.”

The disagreement has once again drawn attention to the safety of African migrants in South Africa, where previous outbreaks of violence against foreign nationals have repeatedly sparked concern across the continent.

Despite the diplomatic strain, Ghana and South Africa remain among Africa’s closest political and economic partners, maintaining cooperation in trade, investment, regional integration and continental affairs. Officials from both countries are expected to continue diplomatic engagements in an effort to resolve the dispute and preserve their longstanding bilateral relationship.

Advertisement

The latest development follows Ghana’s petition to the African Union over Isak’s death. In a statement issued by Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the government said it received news of the 40-year-old fashion designer’s death with “profound shock and sadness,” describing the incident as “a senseless act of xenophobic brutality.”

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  BREAKING: Reps Summon Betta Edu Over Cash Transfer Programme

The ministry further condemned what it called the growing wave of xenophobia against African migrants and demanded that those responsible for the killing be identified, arrested and prosecuted without delay.

WhatsApp
Advertisement
Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

images 40 images 40
Entertainment14 hours ago

WATCH: ‘I Won, I beat you guys’ — Davido banters with Wike

Davido sparked laughter during a playful exchange with FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, repeatedly declaring, “I won. I beat you guys,”...

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2 President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2
News14 hours ago

BREAKING: FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026, a public holiday to mark Eid ul Mawlid, commemorating the birth...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55
News14 hours ago

How Justice Omotosho’s Conviction of Kanu Now Haunts the Nigerian Judiciary

A member of the Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Global Legal Consortium, Onyedikachi Ifedi, Esq., has challenged the legal basis of Mazi...

image 38 image 38
World News18 hours ago

Robot Runs Wild After Remote Failure at Beijing World Robot Conference (Video)

A humanoid robot reportedly malfunctioned at the 2026 World Robot Conference in Beijing, raising fresh concerns about robot safety, control...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27
News1 day ago

Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria – Dele Farotimi

Human rights lawyer and political activist, Dele Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria.

image 35 image 35
News2 days ago

Barrister Christopher Chidera Questions Legal Basis of Nnamdi Kanu’s Conviction, Calls for Immediate Appeal Hearing

Barrister Christopher Chidera, a member of the Global Legal Consortium to Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has backed the Okwu-Kanu Family’s demand...

GovAdeleke GovAdeleke
News3 days ago

BREAKING: Adeleke Escapes Death as Gunmen Open Fire on Convoy in Osogbo

Suspected thugs attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the...

Nyesom Wike 1782223817 Nyesom Wike 1782223817
News3 days ago

Wike Orders Immediate Shutdown of Car Dealerships Operating on Abuja Green Areas

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has ordered the immediate closure of unauthorised car dealership lots operating on parks, gardens and other...

Nnamdi Kanu ww Nnamdi Kanu ww
News3 days ago

Nnamdi Kanu Writes CJN, Court of Appeal President Over Delay in Pending Cases

Nnamdi Kanu has written to the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the Court of Appeal President, demanding the immediate hearing...

HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1 HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1
Big Brother Naija5 days ago

BBNaija Season 11: Kamsy Evicted as 15 Nominated Housemates Survive Surprise Eviction

Big Brother Naija Season 11 delivered another surprise on Sunday night as only one housemate, Kamsy, was evicted despite 16...

Advertisement