Connect with us

News

Nigerians, Others May Be Forced to Leave America as Trump Introduces Fresh Green Card Rule

Donald Trump has directed that Nigerians and other foreign nationals seeking green cards must return to their home countries to complete the application process.

Published

on

trump warn
Donald Trump
  • Donald Trump has directed that Nigerians and other foreign nationals seeking green cards must return to their home countries to complete the application process.
VN62

United States President Donald Trump has ordered Nigerians and other foreign nationals applying for green cards to return to their home countries to process their applications, except in extraordinary circumstances.

The new immigration policy was disclosed on Friday in a statement issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

According to the agency, the policy is aimed at restoring what it described as the “original intent” of US immigration law.

The statement explained that foreigners seeking adjustment of status would now be required to process their residency applications through US consular offices abroad under the supervision of the United States Department of State.

“We’re returning to the original intent of the law to ensure aliens navigate our nation’s immigration system properly,” USCIS stated.

Advertisement

“From now on, an alien who is in the U.S. temporarily and wants a Green Card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances.”

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  Tinubu May Visit U.S., Meet Trump — Nigerian Ambassador

USCIS spokesman Zach Kahler said the new policy would help reduce the number of migrants who remain in the United States illegally after unsuccessful residency applications.

“This policy allows our immigration system to function as the law intended instead of incentivising loopholes,” Kahler said.

“When aliens apply from their home country, it reduces the need to find and remove those who decide to slip into the shadows and remain in the U.S. illegally after being denied residency.”

Advertisement

The agency noted that the directive would particularly affect temporary visitors such as students, tourists, and workers who entered the United States on nonimmigrant visas.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  'Marry Your Mother If Your Wife Can’t be Trusted' - P-Square’s Peter Okoye Advises Men On Hakimi Case

“Nonimmigrants, like students, temporary workers, or people on tourist visas, come to the U.S. for a short time and for a specific purpose. Our system is designed for them to leave when their visit is over,” the statement added.

USCIS further argued that processing residency applications through consular offices abroad would free up agency resources to focus on other immigration priorities, including cases involving victims of violent crimes, human trafficking, and naturalisation applications.

“The law was written this way for a reason, and despite the fact that it has been ignored for years, following it will help make our system fairer and more efficient,” the agency stated.

Advertisement

The latest immigration development follows earlier restrictions introduced by the Trump administration.

In December 2025, the administration reportedly suspended the processing of green card and citizenship applications filed by Nigerians and nationals of several other countries affected by the US travel ban.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  Late Governor Akeredolu's Family Announces Burial Date, Timetable

The suspension affected legal immigration applications handled by USCIS and mainly targeted immigrants from selected African and Asian countries.

DON’T MISS: Oyo Schools Kidnap: Terrorists Open Talks, Give Fresh Condition

Advertisement

Many of those impacted were already residing legally in the United States and seeking to adjust their immigration status or become American citizens.

The Trump administration also previously directed USCIS to freeze immigration petitions, including applications for permanent residency and citizenship, from nationals of 19 countries affected by the travel restrictions announced in June.

The move followed a shooting incident involving two National Guard soldiers in Washington DC, allegedly carried out by an Afghan national.

WhatsApp
Advertisement

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

images 40 images 40
Entertainment13 hours ago

WATCH: ‘I Won, I beat you guys’ — Davido banters with Wike

Davido sparked laughter during a playful exchange with FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, repeatedly declaring, “I won. I beat you guys,”...

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2 President Bola Ahmed Tinubu 2 2
News13 hours ago

BREAKING: FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday

The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, 2026, a public holiday to mark Eid ul Mawlid, commemorating the birth...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 21 at 16.00.55
News14 hours ago

How Justice Omotosho’s Conviction of Kanu Now Haunts the Nigerian Judiciary

A member of the Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Global Legal Consortium, Onyedikachi Ifedi, Esq., has challenged the legal basis of Mazi...

image 38 image 38
World News18 hours ago

Robot Runs Wild After Remote Failure at Beijing World Robot Conference (Video)

A humanoid robot reportedly malfunctioned at the 2026 World Robot Conference in Beijing, raising fresh concerns about robot safety, control...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 20 at 16.27.27
News1 day ago

Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria – Dele Farotimi

Human rights lawyer and political activist, Dele Nnamdi Kanu 110% correct in everything he said about Nigeria.

image 35 image 35
News2 days ago

Barrister Christopher Chidera Questions Legal Basis of Nnamdi Kanu’s Conviction, Calls for Immediate Appeal Hearing

Barrister Christopher Chidera, a member of the Global Legal Consortium to Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has backed the Okwu-Kanu Family’s demand...

GovAdeleke GovAdeleke
News2 days ago

BREAKING: Adeleke Escapes Death as Gunmen Open Fire on Convoy in Osogbo

Suspected thugs attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the...

Nyesom Wike 1782223817 Nyesom Wike 1782223817
News3 days ago

Wike Orders Immediate Shutdown of Car Dealerships Operating on Abuja Green Areas

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has ordered the immediate closure of unauthorised car dealership lots operating on parks, gardens and other...

Nnamdi Kanu ww Nnamdi Kanu ww
News3 days ago

Nnamdi Kanu Writes CJN, Court of Appeal President Over Delay in Pending Cases

Nnamdi Kanu has written to the Chief Justice of Nigeria and the Court of Appeal President, demanding the immediate hearing...

HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1 HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1
Big Brother Naija5 days ago

BBNaija Season 11: Kamsy Evicted as 15 Nominated Housemates Survive Surprise Eviction

Big Brother Naija Season 11 delivered another surprise on Sunday night as only one housemate, Kamsy, was evicted despite 16...

Advertisement