Connect with us

News

‘God Forbid’ — Obasanjo Warns Nigeria Against Another Civil War

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has warned that many of the factors that triggered Nigeria’s 1967 civil war still exist today.

Published

on

obasanjo sunny
  • Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has warned that many of the factors that triggered Nigeria’s 1967 civil war still exist today.
VN62

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has warned that many of the issues that led to Nigeria’s civil war in 1967 remain unresolved, cautioning that the country must do everything possible to prevent another national conflict.

Obasanjo made the remarks on Wednesday while receiving a collection of books, research materials, eyewitness interviews and documentary evidence on the Asaba Massacre at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) in Abeokuta.

Describing the possibility of another civil war as unthinkable, the former president said Nigeria had already fought “one civil war too many” and must embrace a collective resolve of “never again.”

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  IGP Orders Probe Of Cadet’s Death At Police Academy, Kano

“What went wrong in the past is essential to preventing a repeat. We must do everything humanly possible to prevent its recurrence,” he said.

According to Obasanjo, some of the political, ethnic and social issues that ignited the civil war more than five decades ago are still present today, making it imperative for Nigerians to learn from history rather than repeat it.

Advertisement

He recalled former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, once saying Nigeria might not survive another civil war, a view he said he fully shares.

“I believe we have fought one civil war too many already. To say that we will have a second civil war, God forbid. We must understand what happened, condemn what should not have happened, and do everything humanly possible to prevent its recurrence,” Obasanjo stated.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  Thugs Disrupt, Snatch Ballot Box In Imo Supplementary Election

The former president praised the efforts of the Asaba Memorial Trust in documenting the events surrounding the Asaba Massacre, stressing that preserving history is crucial for national healing, reconciliation and unity.

Reflecting on his own role during the civil war, Obasanjo explained that while he could not give detailed accounts of the Asaba incident because operations there were under the command of the late General Murtala Mohammed, he maintained that atrocities against civilians were never official military policy.

Advertisement

He also recounted personally stopping a soldier from assaulting a civilian woman during the war, emphasizing that commanders must always be accountable for the conduct of their troops.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU  FG Launches N2m Loan Scheme for 500,000 Young Entrepreneurs

Obasanjo added that former Head of State General Yakubu Gowon had publicly acknowledged and apologised for the excesses committed during the war, insisting that incidents such as the Asaba Massacre were neither ordered nor condoned by the federal leadership.

He pledged to study the research materials presented to him and reaffirmed his commitment to ensuring Nigeria never experiences another civil war.

WhatsApp
Advertisement

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1 HP3WiXtWsAIGqlS 560x536 1
Big Brother Naija1 day ago

BBNaija Season 11: Kamsy Evicted as 15 Nominated Housemates Survive Surprise Eviction

Big Brother Naija Season 11 delivered another surprise on Sunday night as only one housemate, Kamsy, was evicted despite 16...

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 16 at 13.37.03 1 WhatsApp Image 2026 08 16 at 13.37.03 1
News1 day ago

EXCLUSIVE: Israeli TV Demands Britain Abandon Nigeria, Calls for Biafran Freedom – Abuja in Meltdown

Israeli Channel 14 has reportedly called for Israeli government action on Biafra, urging Britain to end its alleged support for...

arsenal mancity arsenal mancity
Sports1 day ago

Arsenal Humiliate Man City 3-0 in Community Shield, Send Warning Ahead of Premier League Title Defence

Arsenal delivered a stunning statement ahead of the new Premier League season, sweeping aside Manchester City 3-0 in the Community...

adeleke sister adeleke sister
Politics1 day ago

WATCH: Emotional Moment Adeleke Prostrates Before Elder Sister After Osun Re-election

A video showing Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke prostrating before his elder sister, Chief Dr. Modupeola Adeleke-Sanni, popularly known as...

KEYAMO KEYAMO
Politics1 day ago

‘Agreement Is Agreement’, Keyamo Tells Adeleke After Osun Election Victory

Aviation Minister Festus Keyamo has congratulated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election in Osun State, describing the victory as historic...

irannn irannn
World News1 day ago

Iran Offers $30,000 Bounty for Killing or Capturing US Soldiers, Doubles Reward for Women

Iran’s military has announced a $30,000 bounty for anyone who kills or captures a US soldier and hands them over...

tinubu adeleke tinubu adeleke
Politics1 day ago

Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke on Osun Victory, Says Result Shows Democracy Is Flourishing

President Bola Tinubu has congratulated Governor Ademola Adeleke on his re-election as Osun State governor...

adeleke wins adeleke wins
Politics2 days ago

BREAKING: Adeleke Wins Osun Governorship Election, Defeats APC’s Oyebamiji (Full Results)

Governor Ademola Adeleke has been declared the winner of the Osun State governorship election after securing 511,067 votes across the...

President Tinubu To Temporarily Halt Import Duties On Food, Drugs President Tinubu To Temporarily Halt Import Duties On Food, Drugs
Politics3 days ago

Tinubu Dragged to Court, Faces Disqualification From 2027 Presidential Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to disqualify President Bola Tinubu from contesting...

image 32 image 32
Entertainment3 days ago

‘I Did Not Create Myself’ — Man With Female-Breasts Like Chest Speaks Out Against Body Shaming (Video)

A slim man with prominent breasts has spoken out against body shaming, questioning why he is criticised for going topless...

Advertisement