Connect with us

Politics

Is Defection Required for Peter Obi, El-Rufai to Secure 2027 Presidential Ticket? ADC Gives Fresh Update

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has given a fresh update on if Peter Obi and Nasir El-Rufai are required to defect from their current political parties…

Published

on

peter obi adc el rufai
Peter Obi-ADDC Logo-El-Rufai

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has given a fresh update on if Peter Obi and Nasir El-Rufai are required to defect from their current political parties to participate in the 2027 presidential election under the opposition coalition.

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has clarified that Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, and former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, will not be required to defect from their current political parties ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The interim National Publicity Secretary of the ADC, Bolaji Abdullahi, confirmed this in an exclusive phone interview with The PUNCH on Wednesday.

WhatsApp

His statement follows a stern warning from the party’s interim National Chairman, David Mark, who on Tuesday declared that “there will be zero tolerance for anti-party and any form of indiscipline; you are either in ADC or not in ADC. No mid-way in this business, and those not with us, we will not carry them along.”

Mark emphasized that the party’s grassroots leadership would be overhauled to reflect modern realities and that “those who are not totally committed will not be carried along.”

Advertisement

Amid speculations, the ADC – now positioned as the flagship platform of the opposition coalition—is believed to be in talks with Obi and other influential politicians, although the former Anambra governor has repeatedly maintained his loyalty to the Labour Party.

VN54

Confirming this, Abdullahi said, “Absolutely! Obi is correct. This applies to himself and Nasir (El-Rufai). This is because their supporters and allies have obtained forms to contest the election in their legacy parties. So we cannot ask them to defect. It will affect the structures of those following them. They were therefore granted a concession to remain in their parties until after the election.”

Meanwhile, Obi has distanced himself from viral statements circulating online, one of which allegedly claimed he had rejected a return to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and another suggesting he had been offered the position of National Organising Secretary in ADC.

WhatsApp

His media aide, Umar Ibrahim, clarified, “Peter Obi has been unequivocal in his position in the ongoing coalition and didn’t need anyone to put words into his mouth.”

Obi, who has remained a central figure in Nigeria’s opposition politics, continues to focus on his mission to build “a new Nigeria of our dreams,” while the ADC consolidates its coalition ahead of the 2027 polls.

Advertisement

Stay ahead with VerseNews. Get the latest breaking news, insightful analysis, and trending stories. Your go-to source for timely updates and unbiased reporting.

Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

WATCH: Nigeria Newspaper Headline Today

Apply For Latest Job Openings

Trending

Bruno Bruno
Sports13 hours ago

Man United Captain Bruno Fernandes Wins Premier League Player of the Season

Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes has been crowned Premier League Player of the Season...

Rotimi Amaechi ADC Rotimi Amaechi ADC
Politics13 hours ago

I’m the Most Experienced, Most Electable Candidate in ADC — Amaechi

Former Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi has declared himself the most qualified presidential aspirant in the African Democratic Congress ahead...

Abia Governor Alex Otti Abia Governor Alex Otti
News13 hours ago

‘Abia Under Me Has Changed Completely’ – Alex Otti Reveals Major Achievements After Three Years in Office

Abia State Governor Alex Otti says his administration has constructed over 400 roads across the state and reduced Abia’s debt...

460840885 1330647207915400 3100274530716194674 n 460840885 1330647207915400 3100274530716194674 n
Entertainment14 hours ago

‘I Started Smoking in JSS3’ — Ebuka Opens Up on 13-Year Addiction Battle

Media personality Ebuka Obi-Uchendu has opened up about his long battle with smoking addiction.

hunger woman hunger woman
News15 hours ago

35 Million Nigerians Risk Acute Hunger in Coming Months — UN Warns

The United Nations on Friday warned that about 35 million Nigerians are at risk of acute hunger from June to...

ahmusys ahmusys
Entertainment15 hours ago

‘Why I Froze My Eggs at 30’ — Ashmusy Reveals

Nigerian content creator Ashmusy has opened up about freezing her eggs, failed relationships, childhood struggles....

Charles Soludo 1 1 Charles Soludo 1 1
News16 hours ago

Anambra New Burial Law, Bans Presentation of Cows, Goats as Condolence Gifts

The Anambra State Government has introduced strict new funeral regulations, banning midweek burials, expensive condolence gifts, wake-keep ceremonies...

JAMB logo JAMB logo
Education16 hours ago

JAMB Releases 279 Withheld UTME Results

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has released 279 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination results that had earlier been withheld for...

trump warn trump warn
News16 hours ago

Nigerians, Others May Be Forced to Leave America as Trump Introduces Fresh Green Card Rule

Donald Trump has directed that Nigerians and other foreign nationals seeking green cards must return to their home countries to...

Boko Haram terror group Boko Haram terror group
News17 hours ago

Oyo Schools Kidnap: Terrorists Open Talks, Give Fresh Condition

Fresh fears have spread across parts of Oyo State after terrorists who abducted pupils and teachers from multiple schools reportedly...

Advertisement